- - - - -

Blood tests

nicotinamide riboside blood

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

I thought it might be a good idea to start comparing blood tests. I'll start - I'm 6'1", 205 lbs, 43 years old and male.

Look ok? My WBC is low but they say it could be congenital. Stayed the same on two separate occasions. Here's the latest blood test. The problem is that I didn't get a blood test before beginning NR, so I don't know what that looked like before.

Taking >1g NR per day, sometimes up to 2g.

Edit: and I don't really work out all that much, maybe once or twice a week. I'm mostly made of fat unfortunately. But it is fat that is made from star dust so there is that at least.

Attached Files

Edited by TMNMK, 13 February 2018 - 11:52 PM.

#2 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

I thought it might be a good idea to start comparing blood tests. I'll start - I'm 6'1", 205 lbs, 43 years old and male.

Look ok? My WBC is low but they say it could be congenital. Stayed the same on two separate occasions. Here's the latest blood test. The problem is that I didn't get a blood test before beginning NR, so I don't know what that looked like before.

Taking >1g NR per day, sometimes up to 2g.

Edit: and I don't really work out all that much, maybe once or twice a week. I'm mostly made of fat unfortunately. But it is fat that is made from star dust so there is that at least.

Looks very good except glucose is a little high.
  • like x 1

#3 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:13 AM

I mostly take 250-375mg per day. I think NR is really effective for people with really bad health like very high triglycerides, LDL, and glucose.
Before 1 year 2 year
Cholesterol. 209. 191 184
HDL. 60 59 62
LDL. 115 107 104
Triglycerides 171. 124. 88
  • Informative x 1

#4 TMNMK

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:24 AM

Thanks Mike for taking a look and sharing yours as well. Yeah I don't know what I was at with any of that before taking NR, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't that good. But I don't want to quit taking NR to find out, the benefits to my daily energy are far too good to be denied. It is very clear and distinct the difference if I for some reason don't take it as I normally do. Sometimes when I am with family or traveling I will forget, and it is extremely clear to me by mid-day that something is off.

#5 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

Thanks Mike for taking a look and sharing yours as well. Yeah I don't know what I was at with any of that before taking NR, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't that good. But I don't want to quit taking NR to find out, the benefits to my daily energy are far too good to be denied. It is very clear and distinct the difference if I for some reason don't take it as I normally do. Sometimes when I am with family or traveling I will forget, and it is extremely clear to me by mid-day that something is off.

I think 1g per day is good enough. No need to use more than that.
High doses may cause issues.

#6 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

I mostly take 250-375mg per day. I think NR is really effective for people with really bad health like very high triglycerides, LDL, and glucose.
Before 1 year 2 year
HDL. 60 59 62
LDL. 115 107 104

Did you change anything else e.g. grossly change the amount of carbs in your diet, lose weight or grossly change the amount of exercise you get from the triglycerides of 171 to 88?

#7 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Before 1 year 2 year
HDL. 60 59 62
LDL. 115 107 104

Did you change anything else e.g. grossly change the amount of carbs in your diet, lose weight or grossly change the amount of exercise you get from the triglycerides of 171 to 88?

I did reduce carb consumption. No more exercise. Lost 17lbs. What is amazing is Niagen reduced triglycerides from 700 to 200 for a coworker. Another one dropped LDL by 300 points in a few weeks. The worse you are the more effective NR is.

#8 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Before 1 year 2 year
HDL. 60 59 62
LDL. 115 107 104

Any chance your blood tests measured glucose and a1c?  Couldn't help but notice that TMNMK's post supplement glucose level is slightly above normal while his a1c is about in the middle of the normal range.  When I get home again in a few weeks I'll dig into my own blood test data and post it here too.

Howard

#9 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

Any chance your blood tests measured glucose and a1c? Couldn't help but notice that TMNMK's post supplement glucose level is slightly above normal while his a1c is about in the middle of the normal range. When I get home again in a few weeks I'll dig into my own blood test data and post it here too.

Howard

My A1C dropped from 5.9 to 5.7. Another friend dropped from 6.4 to 5.9 in 3 weeks. NR is effective at normalizing blood tests. It will not do much if your level is within normal range. One friend dropped triglycerides from over 1,000 to 200.

#10 TMNMK

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Any chance your blood tests measured glucose and a1c?  Couldn't help but notice that TMNMK's post supplement glucose level is slightly above normal while his a1c is about in the middle of the normal range.  When I get home again in a few weeks I'll dig into my own blood test data and post it here too.

Howard

I would love to compare as well, and if it's not too intrusive, perhaps amount of NR you take and potentially method of administration (if different than the usual oral)? I should be getting more blood work done in a couple months, I'm seeing if changing method of administration affects anything. Will post updates also.

Thanks Howard!

#11 TMNMK

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

My A1C dropped from 5.9 to 5.7. Another friend dropped from 6.4 to 5.9 in 3 weeks. NR is effective at normalizing blood tests. It will not do much if your level is within normal range. One friend dropped triglycerides from over 1,000 to 200.

And holy cow, 1,000 to 200! Admittedly I know next to nothing about triglycerides.. but google brought up "Hypertriglyceridemia" That sounds like an extraordinary drop, good for your friend!

Edited by TMNMK, 09 April 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#12 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

And holy cow, 1,000 to 200! Admittedly I know next to nothing about triglycerides.. but google brought up "Hypertriglyceridemia" That sounds like an extraordinary drop, good for your friend!

Another one had very high LDL and it dropped 300 points in one month. We all take 250mg per day.

Edited by MikeDC, 09 April 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#13 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

I would love to compare as well, and if it's not too intrusive, perhaps amount of NR you take and potentially method of administration (if different than the usual oral)? I should be getting more blood work done in a couple months, I'm seeing if changing method of administration affects anything. Will post updates also.

Thanks Howard!

I take NR orally but tend to cycle in on and off every few months.  Been off a few weeks now but will be on again in a week or two.  My oral method may be different than most.  Blend the HPN bulk stuff into water at around 500 mg per day combined with collagen and psyllium fiber.  And with a probiotic, particularly if I'm taking any kind of antibiotic.  I try to take this at a time of day as many hours as possible from when I ingest fats or any fat-soluble supplements or any antibiotic... usually around bedtime or later.  Historical blood test data to follow in a few weeks.  I might give NMN a try a few weeks before my next blood test in June but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Howard

• Informative x 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users