- - - - -

Two More "Exercise in a Pill" in the News - 516 & Compound 14

exercise in a pill 516 compound 14

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 recon

• 192 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

An article by Marlene Cimons on The Washington Post titled "An exercise pill may be in the future for those incapable of working out" featured two compounds known simply as 516 and Compound 14.

https://www.washingt...05f3_story.html

516 -

Salkscientists have been working since 2007 on a chemical compound, known as 516, that mimics the effects produced by exercise by triggering a specific genetic circuit, “a back door into the exercise genetic network,” Evans says.

The researchers built upon earlier work that identified a gene mechanism that encourages the muscles to burn fat, rather than carbohydrates, much as highly trained elite athletes do.

→ source (external link)

Compound 14 -

AliTavassoli, a professor of chemical biology at Britain’s University of Southampton, has discovered a drug known as compound 14 that works “by fooling cells into thinking they have run out of energy,” Tavassoli says. It does this through a series of molecular actions that spur cells into metabolizing sugar, which produces energy, he says.

→ source (external link)

Compound 14 looks particularly interesting because it apparently fools cells into thinking that they have run out of energy. I am willing to bet that if it is the case, then it may induce caloric restriction type of reaction. Additionally, it spurs cells into metabolizing sugar, which is almost always a healthy thing. I'm sure this will have benefits beyond mere anabolism and muscle hypertrophy.

I'll try to see if I can identify the compound.

• Informative x 3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exercise in a pill, 516, compound 14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users