Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Rejuvepedia!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

I have started a new project called rejuvepedia. This idea is that we can discuss ways to rejuvenate the body on the level of each *system* and the level of each *organ*.

Please see the website at http://www.rejuvepedia.org

I am looking for people to help contribute. Everyone is welcome. To start with we need to clean up the opening statement and start building the page structure.
We also need a logo!

Please post any question to this thread. If you have any more concerns of a private nature please PM me.

This is some of what I have so far:

Welcome to the user contributed encyclopedia of human rejuvenation. This project attempts to create a collection of articles discussing in full the possibilities of rejuvenating the human body in an anatomical approach. There will be sections for each system of the body and within those sections subsections and finally approaches to rejuvenating each individual organ. We consider that much of the bodies decay is entropy and that we can also slow or reverse that entropy with clever intervention, appropriate care and nourishment.

Overall we would like to discuss in an open source way how many techniques including SENS techniques could be applied on the level of individual organs.

We will do the best to remove all barriers that the individuals of today and tomorrow face to full body rejuvenation. In terms of these we attempt to make all these technologies available to everyone in the most practical ways available in any situation. We attempt to bring all individuals no matter what their situation as close to full body rejuvenation as possible if they so wish.

One example we could discuss how exercises such as Ta'i chi could help with bone marrow rejuvenation. This is very low tech but could offer benefits and we will investigate and practice this. Another example is we will write articles on controlling and stopping periodontal disease and explain why this is so important.

In same cases we may be only able to provide simple techniques for health maintenance but we plan to document all techniques comprehensively in this project. The more complex techniques that must be carried out by health professionals will still be documented in as much detail as possible and we will attempt to lower the barriers to obtaining these health services through dedicated research and distributed idea management and improvisation.

Edited by caston, 05 February 2009 - 02:37 PM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

Nice effort. Just wondering, why not use the Imminst wiki? All members can edit the Imminst wiki. We are trying to get it jump-started with a new supplements and lifestyle section.

Edited by Mind, 05 February 2009 - 06:50 PM.

#3 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

Mind: That's a good idea and i'm happy to help with the imminst wiki but the perhaps I shouldn't have posted this in the projects section incase people get confused and think it's an imminst project. It's a project started by an imminst member who hopes other imminst members will contribute.

In time I hope to source contributions of experts in every single organ of the human body. Many of these experts don't currently use imminst.
Many of the contributions will also be from obsessed amateur enthusiasts ;)

There can be code sharing between the two wikis and i'd like to see this. Is the imminst wiki under the GNU free documentation license?

#4 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

I have been playing with the idea of including information about different species. Although we want to have results in humans there are examples of techniques for extending lifespan that have been tested on animals. In one example extra genes for a second liposome helped the livers of mice clean up various proteins and keep itself in a youthful state compared to controls.

Now the page asks you to select a species with the option of dogs, mice, drosphilia or humans.

#5 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

That's a good idea and i'm happy to help with the imminst wiki

Awesome! I look forward to your contributions.

#6 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

Mind: it will probably be me writing stuff in rejuvepedia then copying it over to the imminst wiki. As long as there isn't going to be trouble with licensing then that's ok.
I'm learning Ta'i Chi at the moment so hopefully will soon know enough to contribute an article but there are real Ta'i Chi experts out there that have been doing it for decades.

I can't find anywhere on the imminst wiki what license it's released under. Mediawiki gives you a choice between GNU free documentation and Creative Commons when you install it. I went with GNU free documentation because it's compatible with wikipedia.

#7 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

Here is another topic suggesting the imminst wiki for supps, noots, etc..
http://www.imminst.o...o...c=24066&hl=

Its a great idea. There are already people lining up to get into the wiki once they get access. If somebody can please start a topic dealing directly with the supps, noots wiki then people like me will start directing more and more people to it as the opportunity arises.

In order to access the wiki and contribute, become a member through this link. Its $5.00 per month and its well, well worth it. I only have about ten bucks to spare right now, but Ill pay for a months membership for the first two people that want it that ask me by the end of today.

#8 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

Caston, no problems if you would like to copy and paste from your Rejuvipedia content into the Imminst wiki. Knock yourself out.

#9 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

Hi Mind,

Sorry I haven't done any updates to the imminst wiki yet but I have been quite busy on rejuvepdia.

The rest of this post is generally aimed at all readers.

1) I have adopted the "most aging damage is caused by pathogenic organisms" meme and will making this integral into the site. I have put a note on
the front page about how this is a disagreement we have with SENS in its current form and would think that most of the life extension community at this stage is not taking pathogenic organisms serious enough. Even if our hypothesis that nearly all age related damage is caused by pathogens is incorrect there is some non-zero level of damage caused by pathogens that DOES need to be addressed and by focusing on this area we will help progress towards healthy life extension and rejuvenation goals.

I'd like to point people in the direction of the Paul Ewald talk at Ted:

http://www.ted.com/i...cate_germs.html

2) The next major change is that rejuvepedia is going to be a business. I have also registered rejuvepedia.com but at the moment only rejuvepedia.org is the site location.

The type of business it is going to be is an open source business. That is the business plan is included in the wiki. Having an open source business plan is like having open source software. Anyone can modify it, copying it and make changes to it. This is all under the terms of the GNU free documentation license. I'm happy for people to fork it and setup their own site based on rejuvepedia. The license must be kept the same so that we can share content. I would especially like to encourage rejuvepedia sites to be opened for each different language or culture. That is I hope soon that there will be Russian, Dutch, German, French, Chinese and so on forks of rejuvepedia very soon.

If we can have people who are multilingual (or even those that can use google translator) help out we can keep each site more or less synchronized with the latest information.

At the moment I have only done the major headings of the business plan but this is a wiki so anyone can register and start helping build it.

I will likely install some kind of spreadsheet based extension to media wiki for the purpose of financial forecasting and cash accounting.

3) The current business model is to display google adsense. As we build up the encylopedia of human rejuvenation there will be many products and services related to human rejuvenation specific to the page the user is currently on. For instance pages on removing specific pathogens will show google adsense links to companies that sell those anti-microbial products. We want to encourage the free market to provide goods and services related to rejuvenation while providing much needed funds for the site to expand.

The google adsense extension has been configured so that those who create a account are logged in will not see the advertisements.
So please create and account and your contributions to the site will be greatly appreciated.

4) Forums have been added to the website as an extension to mediawiki. I did this today before posting this message.
I also host forums at smey.org. Information from the smey.org forums deemed to be of value will be reposted on the rejuvepedia forums. smey.org will be retired and the domain auctioned off to gain further funds towards rejuvepedias web hosting costs.

So far no forum categories have been created except for the default. If you have ideas on what forum categories to put on please let me know.

The idea to encourage intense discussion about rejuvepedias operations and how we will proceed. Discussion of rejuvenation theories and practices and the harvesting of links and information about the role of biological pathogens in the aging process.

When you create an account on rejuvepedia you can use this to account to post on the forums. This should all be seamless but please test this out and let me know how it works out.

Thank you and I hope we can work together on this project and that we will be successful in enabling access to rejuvenation therapies to all people of the world.

Edited by caston, 22 March 2009 - 06:29 AM.

#10 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hey guys,

Coming at you with another progress update.

I've installed an extension which allows embedded videos.

For example:

http://www.rejuveped...dex.php/Gingiva

http://www.rejuveped...dex.php/Neurons

I've installed an extension which allows each user to have their own blog.

http://www.rejuveped...l:ListAllBlogs/

I've also registered as an Amazon affiliate and there will be special product pages that people can visit giving them amazon referral links to products that help with rejuvenation.

http://www.rejuveped...Teeth(products)

The pages look like the above with (products) at the end. That way people don't need to follow the product link unless they want to. Also once you are logged in you don't see the google adwords anymore. I want to make the business so that it makes money while encouraging the free and open market for personal rejuvenation products but at the same time is unobtrusive. The products pages are also protected so that only a system operator can edit them.

I also plan to setup a print on demand store so that people can order t-shirts and other merchandise with the rejuvepedia logo. I still need to get a really nice logo designed.

All profits go into paying for the web hosting costs and any other costs associated with running rejuvepedia. After that the plan is that I can use the funds for personal renumeration to cover my living experiences while I run rejuvepedia and help collect and develop information on rejuvenating every organ and system in the entire body.

There is also the potential for others to come on board with me as a business partners.

#11 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

The idea is very nice, but the visual layout is... sub-optimal, put it that way. The front page, for example, looks very random. Does Tai chi really belong on the front page? And the positioning of the pictures looks like the internet in '94. If you want lots of visitors, I think it'd be a good idea to get someone to do design a proper layout. You'd be surprised how important it is for things to look nice these days.

#12 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

Hi JLL,

Yeah especially the introduction needs a lot of editing. I'm really thinking having a separate about page for that stuff and making the front page actually look a lot more like wikipedia how it has things like featured articles and links to sister projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

edit: i've made the images smaller at least for now (55px)

Edited by caston, 19 April 2009 - 09:00 AM.

#13 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:40 AM

I've disabled the google adsense because it was probably scaring away users and hasn't generated a single cent in revenue.

I've also added an FAQ and started to develop a section on improving your emotional state. Calcifying nanobacteria is also investigated as a possible biological pathogen we should be concerned about.

The plan is going to be to migrate rejuvepedia from being reliant on money to being part of a community-exchange.

http://www.community-exchange.org/

I have decided to become the admistrator of a new exchange as there was none currently available in my area. Please see the website http://www.perth-exchange.org

It is still under construction and is just text at the moment. Soon I will put up some kind of CMS and start recruiting people to join. It is demographically based in Perth Western Australia but if you join or start one in your own region my exchange can trade with your exchange.

Rejuvepedia is an open source business and my theory now is that for open source business to succeed it must be based on an open source method of community exchange.

Edited by caston, 27 July 2009 - 12:01 AM.

#14 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

Ok Rejuvepedia is now registered on the community exchange global group. The business model is that people can ask me to write articles about rejuvenation of specific aspects of the human body. I will research and write the articles. They will pay me (or more precisely pay rejuvepedia) for this in community currency. The article will be added to the wiki. People will be able to update and improve the articles at any time. I will seek assistance from other people, online communities (including imminst) and online resources when writing these articles.

Please see my most recent blog update.

http://www.rejuveped...01_13:51:24_UTC

As well as my announcement to the forum for the community exchange social networking site on Ning:

http://communityexch...s/rejuvepedia-1

Edited by caston, 01 September 2009 - 05:01 PM.

#15 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

I just got a domain renewal notice that my domain expires in 4 days. I'll renew it very soon but that reminds me we are probably almost at Rejuvepedia's 1 year anniversary.
The website has changed a lot in this time and I still have a lot of plans for its future in particular its going be expanded to include restoration of the natural environment. The way I see it there is no point having a rejuvenated body if the planet is a polluted and natural resource depleted mess.

Passing that 1 year milestone is great because it shows we are still here and we are gaining momentum.

This calls for a celebration!

Please note there is also a Rejuvepedia group on facebook if you want to join it. I will also plan to soon setup a Rejuvepedia mailing list on google groups.

best regards,

Chris

#16 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

OK the new rejuvepedia google group is http://groups.google...oup/rejuvepedia

The domain name was to expire (but has now been renewed) on the 29th of January so i'll make that day the official one year anniversary!

Edited by caston, 25 January 2010 - 12:46 PM.

#17 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

Have made some big changes to the website. I have updated to 1.15.1 the latest stable version of Mediawiki, installed a contact form, installed a sleek new skin and have started setting up a proper category tree. I have also installed the SendToTweet extension for Mediawiki and all updates are now sent out as tweets!

Please follow Rejuvepedia at:

https://twitter.com/rejuvepedia

There is also a Rejuvepedia facebook group and a Rejuvepedia google groups mailing list.

http://groups.google...oup/rejuvepedia

I am looking for exciting ways to encourage people to add content to the site. I wish to add a lot of information as well as rich multi media content such as 3d animations of processes within the human body or even within cells.

Edited by caston, 08 February 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#18 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

JLL: I'm still trying to think of ways to improve the "sub-optimal layout" of the mainpage. Perhaps once I learn how to use infoboxes in mediawiki I could come up with some idea based on that.

#19 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

I still find it very confusing. You know you could probably hire some Chinese guy to design a nice layout for $50 :)

#20 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

I still find it very confusing. You know you could probably hire some Chinese guy to design a nice layout for $50 :)

I will keep trying to improve the layout myself but please remember it is intended to be a open source community driven site not a commercial outsourcing project.

If I were to pay anyone to work on it it would be in community exchange credits not in private bank controlled currency.

I have added the words "Note: you must click on the text not the image to follow through to that page."

I did this because I know it does confuse first time users.

If you have any other ideas on how I can make the main page less confusing please let me know. Perhaps once I have created all of Rejuvepedia's categories and subcategories we will have a much better picture of what structure the main page should take.

Edited by caston, 08 February 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#21 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

Firstly, mixing text with pictures like that is very confusing to the eye. It's like the Internet back in 1995 or something. Maybe look at some professional websites and see how they're done to get some ideas for a layout?

I have added the words "Note: you must click on the text not the image to follow through to that page."

I did this because I know it does confuse first time users.

If it confuses first time users, maybe it's time to redesign it? :) One of the basic tenets of user interface design says that things should be intuitive -- if you have to explain your interface, it's not simple enough.

Edited by JLL, 08 February 2010 - 05:31 PM.

#22 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

JLL:

Are you suggesting I do the mainpage in HTML instead of wikimarkup?

There would probably be some extensions that allow me to do that. Or I could just have a html page that links to pages in the wiki and make that the index.html file.

The main reason it seems wikipedia does that though is because there are links to all the wikipedia versions in different languages. At this stage I am not attempting to make Rejuvepedia in other languages because am not talented enough to be be able to do that.

One example of a wiki that uses infoboxes on their front page is:

http://familypedia.wikia.com/

Edited by caston, 09 February 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#23 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

JLL: sorry if I sound like an ass here but can we just confirm you know the difference between a wiki and a standard website.

#24 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

JLL: sorry if I sound like an ass here but can we just confirm you know the difference between a wiki and a standard website.

Yes, although I don't know to which degree the visual aspect of a wiki site can be modified. Is the HTML itself inaccessible? Still, even if it is, I assume the position of the images can be changed and some kind of tables can be used to fix text and images the way you want to.

Edited by JLL, 09 February 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#25 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

JLL: I'm thinking of doing something like that. I like having a picture because the human mind has a thirst for images and it helps visualise concepts but it's all how it sits with the text that is creating the confusion. There could be a table or info box and with the heading and an image or illustration then a body of text within the table or infobox describing what the section is about.

The HTML is usually inaccessible but there may be ways around that but I haven't looked into it yet.

One thing I have done is setup http://earth.rejuvepedia.org and installed mediawiki on that as well. That way I can remove all the environment and sustainability sections from the main rejuvepedia site and keep them maintained on a spin-off project called Rejuvepedia Earth. This will remove clutter from the main site but I still want development on those sections to continue because there is no point having a rejuvenated body if the world is polluted and the natural environment destroyed.

There is a way you can share the user database with the main rejuvepedia wiki but keep it as a separate site.
There is also a centeral auth exension which could allow sharing the user database with other wikis perhaps even one day the imminst wiki if it would be an advantage.

I have another idea up my sleeve as well. I have the domain name bioeme.org and I want to put up another wiki but I will keep that under wraps for now :p

Edited by caston, 09 February 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#26 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

I like having a picture because the human mind has a thirst for images and it helps visualise concepts but it's all how it sits with the text that is creating the confusion. There could be a table or info box and with the heading and an image or illustration then a body of text within the table or infobox describing what the section is about.

^ yes

#27 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

There could also be a mainpage is pure HTML which explains the website a bit then links to the wiki(s)

#28 orion602

• 83 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

JLL:

Are you suggesting I do the mainpage in HTML instead of wikimarkup?

There would probably be some extensions that allow me to do that. Or I could just have a html page that links to pages in the wiki and make that the index.html file.

The main reason it seems wikipedia does that though is because there are links to all the wikipedia versions in different languages. At this stage I am not attempting to make Rejuvepedia in other languages because am not talented enough to be be able to do that.

One example of a wiki that uses infoboxes on their front page is:

http://familypedia.wikia.com/

would it be possible to make it look as something this?

http://www.adciv.org/Main_Page

just adding some frames, banner and illustrative photos text structure and it can look very good

#29 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

orion602: Thanks for posting that link. I had a look at the site today during my work break (just on my phone) and it looks quite incredible and definitely a good source of ideas.

#30 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:44 AM

I've started work on a new mainpage with some ideas from that website:

http://www.rejuveped...le=New_mainpage

I'm still working out how the frames and tables work but you can see how the front page is evolving. I have started putting the different sections into templates and have been adding more descriptive text. I have also added a box that tells people its a wiki and will (later) take them to pages explaining the wiki concept.

Edited by caston, 11 February 2010 - 04:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users