• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Long-term DMAE topical use: Anti-aging or Cell Killing?

dmae long-term anti-aging cell-mortality

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

If any of you haven't seen or heard about topical DMAE, it's what is called "face-lift in a jar". Basically, it fills and swells fibroblasts, creating a firmer, more lifted look. However, a study showed that it has a 25% fibroblast mortality rate within 24 hours of application.
http://onlinelibrary...7681.x/abstract

At the same time, it is argued that this killing of fibroblasts is similar to Retin-A, i.e. long-term, it proves to be a skin-saver. One study shows improvement in facial firmness after 8 weeks of use.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20095140

I have yet to hear from long-term DMAE users what their experience has been. Does anyone here have any personal experience of long-term topical DMAE use? Dr. Perricone is the one who has pushed this ingredient the most in his products, in case any of you has used his line.

Cheers!

#2 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Where do you see the 25% fibroblast stat in the abstract? That swelling the individual cells would result in an improved look makes sense but the mortality angle is interesting. From wikipedia - "Tissue damage stimulates fibrocytes and induces the mitosis of fibroblasts." Chemical peels seem to oblige the skin to accelerate turnover so perhaps DMAE causes generation of new fibroblasts?

That's a tough theory though.. According to this study DMAE "reduced the proliferation of fibroblasts."

The conclusion in the abstract that the "vacuolar cytopathology" causes the improvement in skin characteristics is a head scratcher. One doesn't like to read "pathology" as a side effect of any treatment.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Didn't DMAE cause apoptotic cell death through osmosis or something? I think the study was done on rabbits but I cant find it.

#4 JBForrester

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Where do you see the 25% fibroblast stat in the abstract? That swelling the individual cells would result in an improved look makes sense but the mortality angle is interesting. From wikipedia- "Tissue damage stimulates fibrocytes and induces the mitosis of fibroblasts." Chemical peels seem to oblige the skin to accelerate turnover so perhaps DMAE causes generation of new fibroblasts?

That's a tough theory though.. According to this study DMAE "reduced the proliferation of fibroblasts."

The conclusion in the abstract that the "vacuolar cytopathology" causes the improvement in skin characteristics is a head scratcher. One doesn't like to read "pathology" as a side effect of any treatment.

The 25% I found from other sources:
http://www.eurekaler...l-acc041107.php

Didn't DMAE cause apoptotic cell death through osmosis or something? I think the study was done on rabbits but I cant find it.

Not sure about the osmosis part but did you check the first study I posted?

#5 Pangea

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

Does anyone know if topical DMAE can produce systemic side effects?  I had a bad reaction to centrophenoxine, which seems similar to DMAE, but I want to use it topically for it's firming effects.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dmae, long-term, anti-aging, cell-mortality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users