←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

HPA Axis Dysregulation and Beta Blockers?

Daniel Cooper's Photo Daniel Cooper 08 Mar 2018

If a person has an issue with HPA axis dysregulation, does anyone have any speculation on whether beta blockers are likely to help or hurt restoring the HPA axis operating point?

Galaxyshock's Photo Galaxyshock 11 Mar 2018

Beta blocker makes you alpha as it blocks the beta (guy with hands shaking).

prunk's Photo prunk 11 Mar 2018

For some reason propranolol makes me slightly aggressive.

PabloHoney825's Photo PabloHoney825 17 Mar 2018

Propranolol and Atenolol are the two most commonly prescribed for agitation/anxiety/and benzo or alcohol withdrawal/tremor/hyperarousal/adrenaline off-label for panic etc. Propranolol has weak antagonism of serotonin receptors though. Propranolol may cause insomnia as it impedes melatonin but you could always supplement a low-dose melatonin which is commonly suggested for those on beta blockers who experience insomnia.

As I'm currently in anti-depressant withdrawal and on Propranolol, I wonder if the antagonism is helping or harming my recovery. My serotonin 5HT receptors are down-regulated from mirtazpaine use and withdrawal and I believe antagonists upregulate receptors? 

Edited by PabloHoney825, 17 March 2018 - 05:24 PM.

Galaxyshock's Photo Galaxyshock 02 Jun 2018

For some reason propranolol makes me slightly aggressive.

Beta blockade leads to increased activity at alpha-adrenergic receptors and possibly compensatory increase in noradrenaline levels.