←  Senolytics

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

theaflavins are senolytic?

sedentary's Photo sedentary 15 Jan 2020

i didnt know this about theaflavins but then i read this article; https://www.lifeexte...senescent-cells

so whats the deal with theaflavins. i know lifeextension usually exaggerates so they sell more products but the article does have good points. do you think theaflavins can fall into the senolytic category??

kench's Photo kench 11 Feb 2020

I am using the LEF senolytic product, but I don't have much to report on as of now.

Iporuru's Photo Iporuru 12 Feb 2020

Reducing Hypothalamic Stem Cell Senescence Protects against Aging-Associated Physiological Decline

Highlights

• The lncRNA Hnscr is highly expressed in htNSCs of young mice but decreases during aging
  • Hnscr depletion promotes the senescence of htNSCs and aging-like phenotypes
  • Hnscr attenuates htNSC senescence by binding to YB-1 to prevent its degradation
  • Theaflavin 3-gallate mimics Hnscr and ameliorates aging-related physiological disorders

Summary

Age-dependent loss of hypothalamic neural stem cells (htNSCs) is important for the pathological consequences of aging; however, it is unclear what drives the senescence of htNSCs. Here, we report that a long non-coding RNA, Hnscr, is abundantly expressed in the htNSCs of young mice but decreases markedly in middle-aged mice. We show that depletion of Hnscr is sufficient to drive the senescence of htNSCs and aging-like phenotypes in mice. Mechanistically, Hnscr binds to Y-box protein 1 (YB-1) to prevent its degradation and thus the attenuation of transcription of the senescence marker gene p16 INK4A. Through molecular docking, we discovered that a naturally occurring small compound, theaflavin 3-gallate, can mimic the activity of Hnscr. Treatment of middle-aged mice with theaflavin 3-gallate reduced the senescence of htNSCs while improving aging-associated pathology. These results point to a mediator of the aging process and one that can be pharmacologically targeted to improve aging-related outcomes.

Edited by Iporuru, 12 February 2020 - 06:14 AM.

johnross47's Photo johnross47 20 Feb 2020

I treat myself with this stuff every day; usually about a litre of tea.

sedentary's Photo sedentary 21 Feb 2020

a liter of water might be fine, but tea... i even know some people having that much coffee too. not sure its good for you long term

johnross47's Photo johnross47 09 Mar 2020

I've been drinking tea since I was a child, like many people in the UK and I'm 73 now. I've never seen anything that made it look at all dangerous or harmful.

sedentary's Photo sedentary 10 Mar 2020

oh wow so you probably consumed a lot of theaflavins in your life. i mean, what, like 60 years regularly perhaps? tea also contains quercetin. so i guess you should be experiencing senescence. can you feel it or see it somehow? probably take a test, like one of those telemores DNA tests

johnross47's Photo johnross47 19 Mar 2020

I probably was introduced to tea by the time I was about 7 or 8, but being Scottish, it was drunk with quite a bit of milk, which would soak up the oxalic acid component. I take a lot less milk now, but still some.

aribadabar's Photo aribadabar 20 Mar 2020

Correct, adding milk to tea negates its beneficial properties.

johnross47's Photo johnross47 20 Mar 2020

Interesting...I usually drink green tea neat as they say, and black tea with a small amount of milk ....I must measure how much. I could probably learn to drink it black, but then of course there would be the oxalic acid issue.??????

sedentary's Photo sedentary 22 Mar 2020

Correct, adding milk to tea negates its beneficial properties.

any chance on figuring out which type of black teas contain what amount of theaflavins?