←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Dehydrated brain

darkstar2's Photo darkstar2 05 Jun 2020

Hi. I have constantly dehydrated brain. I drink a lot (i think i drink enough ) but after i drink small coffee it or half of coffee it starts to getting worse, drowiness,impaired thinking.  I drink coffee occasionally. Realy i do not know how to hydrate brain. My sinus and eyes are dehydrated to. 

Some thoughts ?

Best Regards

Rafal

StevesPetMacaque's Photo StevesPetMacaque 05 Jun 2020

It doesn't matter how much water you drink if it doesn't get into your cells. Potassium is the most important electrolyte for this purpose; you can add KCl to your food instead of / in addition to salt. (Or just eat more potatoes with skin) Use cronometer to estimate your average daily intake from food, and supplement to reach 3500-4000 mg / day. It's not as effective to take potassium on an empty stomach; you will absorb it faster and pee it out. Betaine is a cheap and safe supplement that acts as an osmotic buffer, which also helps protect cells against dehydration by drawing in fluid. It is safe to take a few grams of betaine a day.

It is also possible that you might need a bit more sodium, but that is less common. Magnesium deficiency makes your body waste potassium, so if you don't get enough from diet (which is common), supplement up to 400-500 mg/day, preferably in any other form than MgO. Lastly, pumping potassium into the cell requires ATP, so if you have a chronic disease associated with poor mitochondrial function, it may be necessary to address that (which is a long and complicated process, so try the easy stuff first).

Hope this helps.

darkstar2's Photo darkstar2 06 Jun 2020

Thank You much . I assume that i have to much sodium . But i really do not know how to dill with it. Yes when i take potassium it is better. There is better after training. I assume that i moved from body sodium during training. I am not eatting to much salt. I do not know why i have  a lot of it.

gamesguru's Photo gamesguru 06 Jun 2020

Potatoes and coconut water are great sources of potassium.

Also good to buy a calcium citrate supplement as well as magnesium threonate/malate/glycinate supplement.