←  AI & Singularity

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Five Reasons Google Will Be First To AI

Live Forever's Photo Live Forever 28 Jun 2006

Here is the link to an opinion piece I ran across on five reasons (that conspicuously look like six reasons) why Google will be the first to develop AI.

Here is the Digg post about it with some rather uninformed comments. They use the term "real AI" to mean human level intelligence. (I assume)

Bruce Klein's Photo Bruce Klein 29 Jun 2006

Google has money and smart people, but the inertia to improve search algorithms and gadgets rather than re-focusing on general intelligence is likely to remain.

One can get a feel by reading their mission... http://www.google.com/corporate/
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. ...which says nothing about creating a thinking machine.

Rather, it's more likely that Google eventually tries to purchase an AI company.

sponsored ad  

Live Forever's Photo Live Forever 29 Jun 2006

That would work out well for you guys (financially) if they decided to buy Novamente. :)

You could retire to a small island somewhere, Bruce. [sfty]

Bruce Klein's Photo Bruce Klein 29 Jun 2006

We will never sell more than 49.9999% of Novamente :)

sponsored ad  

Live Forever's Photo Live Forever 29 Jun 2006

Interesting perspective in your blog post, Michael. [thumb]

The original opinion piece reminds me of this article from awhile back. (Scenario 4 being the most interesting, discussed in this post)

I also found, while searching around, this video of a possible implementation of "Google Brain".