←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Vitamin D and Atrial Fibrillation

Rosanna's Photo Rosanna 08 Oct 2021

I'd love to know what other's think about the link between Vitamin D supplementation and Atrial Fibrillation.

I keep hearing about the benefits of Vit D but am concerned about triggering AFib.  I'm hypothyroid and already am on Thyroxine which can be a risk factor for AFib.  I don't have it, but have had a lot of heart 

anxiety due to past events with other people.  I have a bit of atrial ectopy but cardiologist is not at all worried, said it is unlikely to progress to anything else.

Does anyone know any more indepth info on this or whether there are supplements to take alongside Vitamin D that prevent this type of risk.  

Thanks

Harkijn's Photo Harkijn 09 Oct 2021

Can you share the source(s) for any link between Vitamin D and AF?

TheFountain's Photo TheFountain 09 Oct 2021

Can you share the source(s) for any link between Vitamin D and AF?

Agreed I have never heard of such a thing. In fact I've consistently heard the opposite from Dr. Berg and other's. 

Rosanna's Photo Rosanna 10 Oct 2021

Interesting, thanks Harkijn and The Fountain.

Here's one reference.  I've read a few over the last couple of years so I will review and come back, but I had not realised it could also be for deficiency, so appreciate your responses.  

Abstract 14699: Vitamin D Excess Is Significantly Associated with Risk of Atrial Fibrillation | Circulation (ahajournals.org)

Rosanna's Photo Rosanna 24 Oct 2021

Thoughts on that reference anyone?

Rosanna's Photo Rosanna 24 Oct 2021

Agreed I have never heard of such a thing. In fact I've consistently heard the opposite from Dr. Berg and other's. 

The Fountain, would you have any references or can point me in the direction of other sources of info?  PM if you prefer.  Thanks

Harkijn's Photo Harkijn 25 Oct 2021

Thoughts on that reference anyone?

An interesting find! I had never heard of this and your thread may turn out to be very useful for those who are swept along with (for instance) dr. Patrick's enthusiasm about Vit. D. and the fact that supplement vendors hand it out for free.

The review sees AF as a consequence of hypercalcemia. If this is correct I have a suggestion for you: take some vitamine K2! In wintertime I take moderate amounts of VitD a few times a week and on those days I supplement some vitamine K2 to counteract any possible hypercalcemia.

I take 10 mcg VitD and 100 mcg K2. 

I add a recent review.

Attached Files

Edited by Harkijn, 25 October 2021 - 09:01 AM.

Rosanna's Photo Rosanna 03 Nov 2021

Thanks Harkijn, this is also what the manufacturers told me.  Thanks for the reference, I will read.

Anyone else?  There will more of a show to enjoy if you join in  :-D