←  Nanotech

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

The Nanotechnology Museum

jonano's Photo jonano 12 Nov 2006

Hi

I want to build a nanotechnology museum one day. What would have this museum ?

--Jon

ameldedic2's Photo ameldedic2 12 Nov 2006

Nano scale molecules and atoms designed according to the "known" laws of physics.

mitkat's Photo mitkat 12 Nov 2006

It'd be so tiny, I couldn't fit in the door. What a rip.

Centurion's Photo Centurion 12 Nov 2006

It'd be so tiny, I couldn't fit in the door. What a rip.

I didnt know this either until it was too late...

MichaelAnissimov's Photo MichaelAnissimov 17 Nov 2006

The museum will be a gravestone, with the inscription, "They tore themselves apart with forces beyond their understanding."

Homo sapiens, 2M B.C. - 2020.

R.I.P.

ameldedic2's Photo ameldedic2 21 Nov 2006

Michael,

Nanotechnology could be devastating if something goes wrong, but arrival of artificial intelligence doesn't help either. We'll wait and see.

MichaelAnissimov's Photo MichaelAnissimov 28 Nov 2006

Nanotechnology could be devastating if something goes wrong, but arrival of artificial intelligence doesn't help either.

AI is potentially even more dangerous, but it can also completely solve the problem if executed correctly. An AI with nanotechnology is like, more powerful than all mythological gods put together.

We'll wait and see.

I'd rather not, we should take an active approach to lower the risks before they actually occur, even if we can only lower them by 0.0001%, it's a bigger deal than becoming a Ph.D or making a million dollars. That's how existential risk looks from a utilitarian perspective.

ameldedic2's Photo ameldedic2 28 Nov 2006

Michael,

I agree with you. Currently I am busy with college battling programs and school work. As these decades progress to pass, computers will be everywhere.

One of my friends (he supports evolution) doubts computers can think like humans since they execute only orders without ever evolving. Thus, he claims these computer machines might have extraordinary skills, but because they cannot evolve as we humans have from chemical reactions, etc.; they cannot think like us consciously or whatever we have that makes us so intelligence. How would you defend this case? I told him the nanotechnology hardware for computers is arriving, thus, that wouldn't be a problem to run quadrillion calculations. I also claimed that we would be able to imitate the brains function on a software computer. Yet , he still believes it will never be possible. How can someone claim something like that when he doesn't have any evidence that it can't happen?

mufasa's Photo mufasa 03 Apr 2007

It should happen. It would give us something better to do... Life would be a whole hell-of-a lot more interesting; until of course, it was gone.

Grail's Photo Grail 03 Apr 2007

Hmmm...sounds like we need some kind of Truth Machine. Hop to it Pete!

samson's Photo samson 03 Apr 2007

We're so screwed. I mean christ, it only takes *one* renegade self-replicant (with luck) and bye-bye humanity.

Reno's Photo Reno 07 Apr 2007

With the introduction in nanomedical applications in the next decade we will be able to spread to the moon and mars with relative ease. If the earth goes to grey mush at least humanity will survive on its colonies.

Humans think the way we do because we have millions of synapses firing off ever second. Each neuron responding to signals from neurons around it. This massive jumble of seemingly random responses forms the basis for creativity and intelligent thought. The same can be done with nanotechnology.

biologic's Photo biologic 09 Apr 2007

AI is potentially even more dangerous

"... I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..." [lol]

John_Ventureville's Photo John_Ventureville 23 Apr 2007

I'm sure one day the Smithsonian will have a big section devoted to the history of nanotech. They just better have a display where they needle Scientific American Magazine for the late 20th century article comment about nanotech boosters being like "cargo-cult believers!" lol If I were rich I'd like to establish a "Museum of the Future." It would be dedicated to promoting futurist thought (positive futurist thought) and showing people a good time in the process. One day I want to visit the science fiction museum in Seattle. It sounds very very cool.

John Grigg

bobscrachy wrote:
With the introduction in nanomedical applications in the next decade we will be able to spread to the moon and mars with relative ease. If the earth goes to grey mush at least humanity will survive on its colonies.
>

LOL Those colonies of humans in space will survive up until the point the grey goo goes looking for them...

jonano's Photo jonano 23 Jun 2007

me too. If I would be rich, I would like to build libraries or museums, to entertain people, to inform them and influence them. Every museum would have its philosophy and its world.

here is one of my project:
http://future.wikia....turology_School
here is my profile:
http://future.wikia....iki/User:Jonano

any idea to improve it ?

--Jon