←  USA

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Big snowstorm in upstate New York

jaydfox's Photo jaydfox 10 Feb 2007

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17063535/

Upstate N.Y. residents dig out from heavy snow
Sun breaks through as storms end; snow tops 120 inches in some towns

PARISH, N.Y. - Sunshine greeted residents of this snowbound village on Saturday, giving crews a chance to haul away some of the 8 feet of snow that has fallen during the past week.

“The sun’s out, but it isn’t going to last,” Mike Avery said as he took a brief break from loading dump trucks with snow to be taken to a pile outside town.

The National Weather Service said the bands of lake-effect snow fed by moisture from Lake Ontario would continue weaving up and down the lake’s eastern shore during the weekend, dropping 2 to 4 more feet of snow with wind of up to 25 mph.

Attached Files

jaydfox's Photo jaydfox 10 Feb 2007

I posted this because I was concerned that Lazarus Long (who lives somewhere in NY) might have been affected. I see he's been online, so he's probably not affected. New York is a big state, so it's probably like someone seeing that there was a big storm in San Francisco and wondering if their friends in L.A. are okay... [lol]

Anyway, does anyone live in the affected region?

Lazarus Long's Photo Lazarus Long 11 Feb 2007

The serious weather is somewhat to the north of my location near to the Great Lakes region of New York. However the phenomenon of *lake effect* snowfall is really quite common in that region and the winter conditions this year were a perfect setup for the kind of snowfall we are seeing.

11 Feb 2007

The serious weather is somewhat to the north of my location near to the Great Lakes region of New York.  However the phenomenon of *lake effect* snowfall is really quite common in that region and the winter conditions this year were a perfect setup for the kind of snowfall we are seeing.

I guess this means you are ok!! :)

Lazarus Long's Photo Lazarus Long 11 Feb 2007

OK and glad to have winter, finally.

We have very little snow as a matter of fact but I have had great weather to split wood in since the temperatures have been hovering near and above zero. I live pretty close to the edge of the grid so the idea of all the snow doesn't really phase me. I actually wish more of it had come our way.

BTW, thanks for asking. [lol]