←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Curicumin / Turmeric Dosage? Absorption?

edward's Photo edward 19 Mar 2007

I have been taking Curicumin for awhile (about 800mg total curicuminoids) and will be running out of my current supply soon so before I reorder I wanted to re-evaluate dosage along with absorption issues. Currently the formulation I take has bioperine, bromelaine and lecithin in it to enhance absorption. I am on the fence about the bioperine as to whether it is worth it for the enhanced absorption.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

edward's Photo edward 19 Mar 2007

oops spelled curcumin wrong... anyways

EmbraceUnity's Photo EmbraceUnity 20 Mar 2007

I take 300 to 600mg per day through LEF's DNA Protection Formula. Optimal dosages are not really known as far as I know, but it differs from person to person. Bioperine helps you absorb 3000% more curcumin than you normally would. However, bioperine may be quite risky.

See this post for more details

xanadu's Photo xanadu 20 Mar 2007

I just take caps of tumeric every day a total of about 1.5 to 1.7 grams.

wayside's Photo wayside 05 Apr 2007

According to the Linus Pauling Institute ( http://lpi.oregonsta...html#metabolism ):

Curcumin could not be detected in serum at lower doses than 4 g/day.
Curcumin and its metabolites could not be detected in plasma at lower doses than 3.6 g/day.

I'm taking about 1.3 grams a day (no bioperine); is this a totally ineffective dose for anything outside of the intestines?

xanadu's Photo xanadu 05 Apr 2007

Keep in mind that the benefits of tumeric were discovered in people who used in in their food in amounts way less than 4 gm a day. That is a fairly strong spice and even if you like it a lot, 1 gm a day is a bunch. I would not be worried about a lab that couldn't find it in serum.

steelheader's Photo steelheader 05 Apr 2007

I'm taking two of NOW's 665mg Curcumin horse pills per day with about the same amount of cayenne. My reasoning, possibly without merit, is that populations in SE Asia that eat a lot of turmeric also eat at lot of hot peppers and cayenne might help in the absorption of the curcumin.