←  Nanotech

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

NanoArmor 6 times stronger than Kevlar

Liquidus's Photo Liquidus 18 Nov 2007

http://www.nanotech-...?story_id=26419

Notable points:

-The Nano Armor products will be made of tungsten disulfide (WS2) nanoparticles and enable it to produce over 50% lighter weight armor products.

-The unique nanotubes of ApNano Materials are up to 4-5 times stronger than steel and about 6 times stronger than Kevlar.

Not sure how reliable the source is, but it sure is interesting.

jackinbox's Photo jackinbox 19 Nov 2007

How it would compare to dragon skin?
http://en.wikipedia....Skin_body_armor

Reno's Photo Reno 19 Nov 2007

The government will come up with some reason why the soldiers are better off with cheaper armor.

Liquidus's Photo Liquidus 19 Nov 2007

The government will come up with some reason why the soldiers are better off with cheaper armor.

I think by the time these new technologies are readily available, we'll see a shift from public defense being prominent, to private defense being more viable. I'm not really certain about this, but according to the sociology class I took last semester, at least in Canada, private defense contractors outnumber public policing by at least a ratio of 3:1 at present day.

I think as the corporate world continues to strengthen itself relative to government, there will be a need for private contractors for whatever reason, and I can see no reason why corporately funded private defense contractors could not afford/want this kind of technology without the regulations or short-cuts taken by public defense funding. In the near future, people will pay for private defense instead of relying on shoddy public defense that's overly saturated with useless red-tape.

Apologies if I'm not making total sense, I've been formatting web code here at work for the last 4 hours and my brain is a bit scrambled.
Edited by G Snake, 19 November 2007 - 09:44 PM.

Reno's Photo Reno 20 Nov 2007

Do you mean mercenaries? I couldn't imagine mercenaries taking over the security of a country. There is something to be said about the government taking responsibility for armed conflicts. It's easier to hold a government accountable then it is to hold a private company. All a company has to do to abandon responsibility is change its name.

knite's Photo knite 20 Nov 2007

Plus it truly does take more than money to make a person willing to die