←  Regimens

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

26 year old male looking for single, healt...

cwikone's Photo cwikone 09 Jan 2008

Hello ImmInst community,

I am a 26 year old, active male. I eat a variety of foods and try to limit my intake of simple sugars. I drink a glass of iced white tea everyday and love to snack on a variety of nuts. I drink lots of H2O and now maintain a healthy 165 lb weight. Over the last 2 years I have lost 45 lbs (college weight) I think because I have drastically decreased my alcohol consumption (almost completely) and completely cut out those late night burritos I never remembered eating. =) I have also been taking the following supplement regimen for the last 2 years (prior to this I only took a daily Centrum since I was 19):

Nature Made Men's 50+ (1x in the moring with food)
Nature Made Fish Oil 1200mg (1x in the morning with food and 1-2x/week in the evening with food)
Nature Made Flaxseed Oil 1000mg (1x in the morning with food)
Kirkland Signature (Costco) Extra Strength Glucosamine/Chondroitin (1x in the evening before bed)
Nature Made Calcium (I take this with the Gluco/Chond when my knees are sore)
Kirkland Signature (Costco) Calcium Citrate with Vit D, K, Magnesium, Zinc (taken periodically when I feel like I need an oomph or change in the routine)

My supply is coming to an end, and I decided to reevaluate and investigate before purchasing more. I came across this insightful forum and have been researching for many days now. I began taking this regimen for 2 reasons (which now I realize the products I chose are not anything to rave about). First, the multi to cover any nutrition I don't receive from my diet or have a lack of because of exercise and activities. I take the fish and flaxseed oil for the Omega's (preventative heart health) and the Calcium to hopefully help out my bones and nerves/muscle functions.

Many of the forums and websites I have found are really geared toward the 30 and up crowd, usually though, much older. I have found little for those my age as to what is advisable for health and longevity and what is over doing it and a waste of money. I sometimes worry that supplementing might help initially but hurt in the long run as my body may get lax on it's own production as it gets used to the supplements. I think Flaxseed Oil should be cutout (read a bunch of horror stories about it) and possibly the Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM since it may not be affecting me at such a "young" age.

With my research and checking products at ConsumerLab, I developed the following regimen for my current health and longevity. Please review it and make any recommendations you may have. I don't want to be popping too many pills. Say no more than 5-10 capsules per day, again I'm flexible on this. Also, if you have any sources where your suggestion or my regimen could be purchased reliably and at a low cost, I would appreciate it.

Multi: Either Nature's Way Alive! or NOW Foods Adam (I think I am leaning towards Nature's Way because I read at my age to avoid Saw Palmetto) (daily recommended dosage)
Fish Oil: Either Carlson's Super Omega-3 Fish Oil or Natural Factors RxOmega-3 Factors (Leaning towards Carlson's as information on it is more readily available) (1 per day if with cod or krill, otherwise, 1 morning and 1 at night)
Cod Oil: Carlson Cod Liver Oil (Lemon flavored Liquid, to be taken during the Fall=>Spring months for Omegas and Vit D and supplement the capsules) (2 tsps per day)
Krill Oil: Dr. Mercola raves about this, seems like a lot of hype. Haven't found a popular, cheap product. Probably skip it (taken during the Spring=>Fall months)
Garlic: Kyolic Aged Garlic (My wife hates garlic, I love it but eat it rarely. AGE seams to be the best type of garlic) (600mg per day)
Resveratrol: Coutry Life Resveratrol Plus (100mg per day, I figure start off light and build up)
CoQ10: Not sure of the brand or form yet (30-60mg per day, again start low and build up as I age/is needed)

Again, I'm open to all suggestions (with actual suggested product and dosage, rather than just "up your Vitamin C").

Thanks so much.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

~cwikone

cwikone's Photo cwikone 09 Jan 2008

I've been looking at VitaCost and iHerb for pricing and availabilty. I've had no experience with either, but they seem very popular and trusted.

happy's Photo happy 14 Jan 2008

I've been looking at VitaCost and iHerb for pricing and availabilty. I've had no experience with either, but they seem very popular and trusted.

Take a look at Jarrow's Ubiquinol QH-Absorb, 100 mg, 60 Softgels on iHerb and do a search on the forums for "Ubiquinol".

What I did when I first discovered the forums was to look at other regimens and began researching every supplement individually,
a good tip is to type into the Google box "site:imminst.org ubiquinol" or whatever else you may be researching ..

Good luck and welcome :]