←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Is negative synergy possible?

InquilineKea's Photo InquilineKea 08 Mar 2008

Point in view:

Substance A reduces blood glucose
Substance B reduces blood glucose
Substance A and B combined produce net increase in blood glucose (perhaps due to interference or some negative synergistic effect).

I'm just wondering about this as I'm now taking several substances to reduce blood glucose levels (cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, etc etc etc). On the other hand I also practice some habits that may increase them (I oftentimes need caffeine in order to stay up late in order to finish school assignments). So...

niner's Photo niner 09 Mar 2008

Point in view:

Substance A reduces blood glucose
Substance B reduces blood glucose
Substance A and B combined produce net increase in blood glucose (perhaps due to interference or some negative synergistic effect).

I'm just wondering about this as I'm now taking several substances to reduce blood glucose levels (cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, etc etc etc). On the other hand I also practice some habits that may increase them (I oftentimes need caffeine in order to stay up late in order to finish school assignments). So...

Sure, synergistic effects are possible, in theory. I doubt that you are going to see anything that goes beyond a simple additive effect with cinnamon and apple cider vinegar. If you take enough stuff, you could get into a situation where one compound potentiated the effects of the other because one was inhibiting the metabolism of the other, or altering its absorption.