←  Group Discussion

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

New Folding Rig

Cyberbrain's Photo Cyberbrain 05 Jan 2009

Just assembled on Christmas:

Motherboard: EVGA Nforce 780i SLI
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 280 GTX
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.83GHz
Memory: Nvidia ready 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
Hard Drive: Western Digital 300GB HD 10,000 rpm
PSU: Thermaltake 850W

Posted Image

I plan eventually in popping two more cards in there for 3 way SLI!

Posted Image

So far everything was installed correctly and it's lightning fast!

kismet's Photo kismet 05 Jan 2009

Wow, this looks pretty expensive and fast, very nice. How often do you want to let it run? 24/7? You are Kostas_Hatalis, right? Are you going to overclock or undervolt your CPU? (will give better performance or lower power draw, you choose)
Edited by kismet, 05 January 2009 - 11:57 PM.

Cyberbrain's Photo Cyberbrain 06 Jan 2009

Wow, this looks pretty expensive and fast, very nice. How often do you want to let it run? 24/7? You are Kostas_Hatalis, right? Are you going to overclock or undervolt your CPU? (will give better performance or lower power draw, you choose)

Yup, that's me. It wasn't that much. I bought the parts over time, it was roughly about $1,100. I'm not going to overclock it just yet until I can get a liquid cooling system in there.

dnamechanic's Photo dnamechanic 06 Jan 2009

Thanks for posting about your new computer, Kostas.

That's a nice computer (folding machine) you have built.

Please post info on how the setup and folding is progressing.

Will be watching for your increased PPD in the team stats.

kismet's Photo kismet 06 Jan 2009

Yup, that's me. It wasn't that much. I bought the parts over time, it was roughly about $1,100. I'm not going to overclock it just yet until I can get a liquid cooling system in there.

That's why I mentioned undervolting, any core 2 chip can stand overclocking even with stock cooling, even more so undervolting. I think mine is even undervolted *and* overclocked at 3.2ghz, but I am glad you want to OC in the long term if not now, it is pretty straight-forward on those chips!
Edited by kismet, 06 January 2009 - 04:34 PM.

FunkOdyssey's Photo FunkOdyssey 06 Jan 2009

Sounds like someone is ready to play Teamfortress 2 with me when they aren't folding @ home. :)

Mind's Photo Mind 06 Jan 2009

Hey, let us know how many PPD that set-up cranks out, in case other people are looking at a similar purchase.

MichaelGR's Photo MichaelGR 07 Jan 2009

Hey! Thanks for folding. Nice rig :)

Live Forever's Photo Live Forever 07 Jan 2009

Nice rig!! :)

Keep us updated on any adjustments that you make to it.

maestro949's Photo maestro949 07 Jan 2009

Awesome :)