←  Biomarkers & Genes

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Longevity Gene...

Infinitytimes2's Photo Infinitytimes2 29 Apr 2009

Germ-line gene therapy

the magazine New Scientist (October 23, 1999) reported that an artificial chromosome has been inserted into mice with success at a Canadian biotechnology company [Chromos Molecular Systems (Burnaby, British Columbia)]. It was passed on its offspring. This positive result could revolutionize gene therapy (Canadian patent 2250682). "If genes could be ferried into embryosin an artificial chromosome, that could safely be inherited without interfering with the rest of the genome - the collection of all genes - germline therapy might not be so risky" (New Scientist).

Can anyone tell me about germ-line gene therapy and its restrictions to date. The passing on of genes like FOXO3A to offspring sounds pretty important to me.
Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

GoodFellas's Photo GoodFellas 01 Aug 2009

How can I test if I have this gene? Most of my family members died at the age between 85 and 94.

+My grandpas aunt died at 99 1/2.
Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

cyborgdreamer's Photo cyborgdreamer 02 Aug 2009

Germ-line gene therapy

the magazine New Scientist (October 23, 1999) reported that an artificial chromosome has been inserted into mice with success at a Canadian biotechnology company [Chromos Molecular Systems (Burnaby, British Columbia)]. It was passed on its offspring. This positive result could revolutionize gene therapy (Canadian patent 2250682). "If genes could be ferried into embryosin an artificial chromosome, that could safely be inherited without interfering with the rest of the genome - the collection of all genes - germline therapy might not be so risky" (New Scientist).

Can anyone tell me about germ-line gene therapy and its restrictions to date. The passing on of genes like FOXO3A to offspring sounds pretty important to me.

That could be a wonderful advance for future generations but I would hope there would also be applications to help those who have already been born.