←  Ageless Looks

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

stretchmarks

inthecity's Photo inthecity 06 Apr 2009

Hi! I'm Bella and I'm new here. I just want to ask if there's any way of removing stretchmarks on your body? Got mine during my last year's pregnancy. They're a little deep so they are really visible. Will wait for any suggestion. Thanks!

cathological's Photo cathological 07 Apr 2009

If you get stretch marks you're basically screwed. And obviously the previous posts are just clever marketing for whatever the hell it is the person is trying to sell.

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

kismet's Photo kismet 07 Apr 2009

You should have looked for help before they occurred. I believe retinoids and laser treatment (585-nm pulsed dye laser IIRC?) are the best options. Retinoids should work well for prevention in my opinion.
Stretch marks are basically a form of scar and the literature on treatment of those is vast but I've got no time to review other treatment modalities (and even less personal experience, I can merely tell you that retinoids do not work particularly well for hypertrophic scars...)

Tretinoin improves stretch marks at 0,1% (1996, n=22) [1]
Low dose tretinoin does not improve stretch marks at 0,025% (1994, n=11) [2]
Improves abdominal striae (2001, n=20) [3]

[1] Kang et al. Arch Dermatol. 1996 May;132(5):519-26.Topical tretinoin (retinoic acid) improves early stretch marks. Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, USA.
[2] Pribanich et al. Low-dose tretinoin does not improve striae distensae: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Cutis. 1994 Aug;54(2):121-4. Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27157.
[3] Rangel O et al. Topical tretinoin 0.1% for pregnancy-related abdominal striae: an open-label, multicenter, prospective study. Adv Ther. 2001 Jul-Aug;18(4):181-6. Gynecological-Obstetrics Clinic, ISSEMYM Hospital, Mexico City, Mexico 
Edited by kismet, 07 April 2009 - 01:13 PM.