←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

ok to have lower-than-regular dose of prop...

csrpj's Photo csrpj 22 Oct 2009

it says someone you shouldn't take beta-blockers while taking wellbutrin, but a relitavily knowledge friend looked this up and told me wellbutrin just increases the beta-blocker's effect and to just take less. should i be cautious w/ this combo?

Pike's Photo Pike 22 Oct 2009

if it's contraindicated, don't take it. simple as that.

Zoroaster's Photo Zoroaster 22 Oct 2009

it says someone you shouldn't take beta-blockers while taking wellbutrin, but a relitavily knowledge friend looked this up and told me wellbutrin just increases the beta-blocker's effect and to just take less. should i be cautious w/ this combo?

Well I don't know what your friend was talking about. Wellbutrin boosts norepinephrine and dopamine. norepinephrine is a major stimulator of beta and alpha adrenergic receptors. Beta blockers like propranolol block beta adrenergic receptors (hence their name), and some alpha-adrenergic receptors. So those two drugs are directly counteracting each other. If you take both at the same time you'll get a dopamine boost, but your propranolol will cancel out much of the wellbutrin's norepinephrine effects, especially because propranolol is so non-specific. I don't know who would have prescribed both of those to you. But if you legitimately need both, you should probably go back and get a more specific beta-blocker, depending on what you're taking it for.