←  Forum Issues

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Something is wrong with the dates of the...

VidX's Photo VidX 28 Jan 2011

It's either with my regional settings/time (I doubt it) or something is wrong in the soft of the board, as recently when I open any of the subsections some of the old threads are on the top of the list, but when I open them - the last post is way too old to bring it to the top (while the color of the link is like the one that indicates a "New reply").. Or it shows "Latest post: Today", I open and "Today" turns out to be a month ago.

caliban's Photo caliban 28 Jan 2011

There is a 'bump' function that manipulates the date of the last post to 'bump' the topic.
This also happens when people vote in a poll in certain fora.

Does this likely explain what you encounter? If not you need to give more specific examples.

VidX's Photo VidX 29 Jan 2011

Well this seems to occur pretty often recently so I'm not sure. Here's an example: first I open "Lifestyle" subsection and see this (the first thread) it's written "Today":

Posted Image

BUT - when I open it, the last post as is shown (not today):

Posted Image

rwac's Photo rwac 29 Jan 2011

Well this seems to occur pretty often recently so I'm not sure. Here's an example: first I open "Lifestyle" subsection and see this (the first thread) it's written "Today":

Right. The topic gets bumped when someone votes on the poll.

niner's Photo niner 29 Jan 2011

As of this posting, a majority (21 to 13) of users have voted to turn off bumps from poll votes.

PWAIN's Photo PWAIN 29 Jan 2011

As of this posting, a majority (21 to 13) of users have voted to turn off bumps from poll votes.

Make that 22...

PWAIN's Photo PWAIN 29 Jan 2011

There is a 'bump' function that manipulates the date of the last post to 'bump' the topic.

How do you do this? I haven't noticed this functionality before.

niner's Photo niner 29 Jan 2011

You have to be the threadstarter or an ImmInst Poobah.

Lazarus Long's Photo Lazarus Long 30 Jan 2011

You have to be the threadstarter or an ImmInst Poobah.

I'm supposedly a "poobah" and I used to see that function but I haven't been able to find it either.

Is it behind one of the 'new and exciting secret doors' that occasionally pop up when I am floating the mouse over the page?

Perhaps we should start a scavenger hunt for all the new and improved functionality. :dry:

caliban's Photo caliban 30 Jan 2011

The Bump function is only available to Members (not sure why you call them names).

It is available as the very first button on the top of each thread showing a little bell and reading 'bump' which I personally find very easy to find and understand.

Lazarus Long's Photo Lazarus Long 30 Jan 2011

The Bump function is only available to Members (not sure why you call them names).

It is available as the very first button on the top of each thread showing a little bell and reading 'bump' which I personally find very easy to find and understand.

Members or "members of leadership"?

Because I am clearly a member and I have no such bell reading bump. Which is perhaps why this thread got started. And I should add I used to see that option before the recent upgrade. That is why I entered this discussion at all.

As to "poobahs' it is not so much calling 'them' names as much as a form of self deprecating humor I suspect. At least that is how I intended it when I quoted. :unsure:

niner's Photo niner 31 Jan 2011

"poobah" is a form of self-deprecating humor; the reference was to myself and other members of leadership. In the course of explaining to members and users that people like myself had a 'power' that they didn't have, I didn't want to come off like I thought I was the awesomeness or something. It was not intended to be insulting to anyone. I apologize for the usage of an apparent colloquialism in an international forum.

http://www.merriam-w...tionary/poo-bah