←  Multi-Media

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Metaman by Gregory Stock

Mind's Photo Mind 13 Oct 2012

Metaman by Gregory Stock, a new book about the merging of man an machine. Nothing new for most people here, but a nice optimistic read about the future.

My main concern with the man-machine superorganism is the potential lack of diversity. Monolithic systems tend to suffer catastrophic collapses. Diverse complex systems are more robust.

niner's Photo niner 14 Oct 2012

Metaman by Gregory Stock, a new book about the merging of man an machine. Nothing new for most people here, but a nice optimistic read about the future.

My main concern with the man-machine superorganism is the potential lack of diversity. Monolithic systems tend to suffer catastrophic collapses. Diverse complex systems are more robust.

But Metaman is diverse, since it's made up of all the diverse connected people. I guess the lack of diversity at the moment is that most of them are running windows... I guess the immune system on the hardware side is pretty good, though, since we haven't had the whole thing melt down (too far, anyway) yet.

It's another pointing out of the Global Brain sort of thing that Teilhard de Chardin first described. (He was thinking about the Singularity before it had a name.)