←  Multi-Media

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

"Lonely" Older People Do Not Know...

Droplet's Photo Droplet 19 Nov 2012

Article from Nusring in Practise highlights the social and psychological miseries that aging brings:

More than three million people aged 65 and over are not getting any help, support or companionship from neighbours, research shows.
More than 700,000 older people in the UK report that they “always” or “often” feel lonely with over half of all older people considering the TV as their main form of company.
It is claimed loneliness can have the same adverse effects on an older person’s health as obesity and smoking.

Read more here: http://www.nursingin...busy-neighbours
Edited by Droplet, 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM.

JBForrester's Photo JBForrester 21 Sep 2013

Wow, this is so sad. Thank you for sharing that, Droplet. It's amazing how anti-social behaviors can have devastating effects on large communities. And the article you posted makes me think about my own behavior as well. Thank you.

And I know again I am 1 year late in replying, but I'm still exploring the different areas of longecity since I usually stick to the health section of forums. I'm officially stepping out of my comfort zone :)
Edited by JBForrester, 21 September 2013 - 06:12 AM.