←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Modafinil and Citalopram

mindmeld's Photo mindmeld 24 Mar 2013

Recently acquired some Modalert (200mg).

Took it the other day and felt pretty odd...not as I imagined it.

Is it safe for me to take with Citalopram? (20mg) - I take these daily and have done for 3 years - however will be coming off them this summer.

I've got a lot of work on at the moment (student) and need to know if it's safe!

Thanks guys

Edit: Meant to be Citalopram in title.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 June 2014 - 07:21 PM.

jadamgo's Photo jadamgo 24 Mar 2013

LongeCity has received a contact stating that the following is erroneous and may be dangerous.

Please refer to the RXList entry here:

http://www.rxlist.co...interaction.htm

Yes, this should be fine. Just be careful with modafinil; the recommended dose of 200mg is way higher than most people need. Try 1/4 tablet per day or 1/2 tablet per day, and you're way less likely to have trouble with tolerance and withdrawal symptoms. (That has nothing to do with the citalopram; it's just a general warning about modafinil.)

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 June 2014 - 07:24 PM.

mindmeld's Photo mindmeld 25 Mar 2013

Ahh ok, thanks!

I tried 200mg the other day and did not get desired effects at all - felt 'monged out' and pretty anxious in the evening.

Tried half a pill today (100mg) and already feel more focussed!

As long as this is safe to mix with my SSRI (citalopram), i'll keep going :-D

noos's Photo noos 25 Mar 2013

Mofafinil dosing seems to be complicated.
I read about a study that showed 200 mg caused less anxiety than 100.
See gwern.net

mindmeld's Photo mindmeld 25 Mar 2013

I just presumed the anxiety came from the interaction with my Citalopram.

100mg today and no anxiety so far, just focus.

jadamgo's Photo jadamgo 25 Mar 2013

Nah, it's probably not an interaction, it's just a known side effect of any stimulant out there. Sometimes they make people feel confident, sometimes anxious, and sometimes they don't affect emotions very much at all.

Tom_'s Photo Tom_ 21 Apr 2013

Yup, as everyone said, the two are perfectly safe in combo. Just thought an extra voice might help decrease the anxiety.

YOLF's Photo YOLF 12 Jun 2014

LongeCity has received a contact stating that the following is erroneous and may be dangerous.

Please refer to the RXList entry here:

http://www.rxlist.co...interaction.htm

Yes, this should be fine. Just be careful with modafinil; the recommended dose of 200mg is way higher than most people need. Try 1/4 tablet per day or 1/2 tablet per day, and you're way less likely to have trouble with tolerance and withdrawal symptoms. (That has nothing to do with the citalopram; it's just a general warning about modafinil.)

We've received a safety complaint about this thread. I've made changes to it to reflect the information I received.