←  Nutrition

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Dr. Dean Ornish on Prostate Cancer and Tel...

misterE's Photo misterE 07 Apr 2013

johnross47's Photo johnross47 08 Apr 2013

Did they look at these lifestyle changes separately or was this another one of these studies that fails to control all the variables. Do we know if you need all the changes is just high veg, or low fat or exercise enough on its own?

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

DR01D's Photo DR01D 08 Apr 2013

Great video thanks for posting! I had no idea that telomeres could get longer because of an improved lifestyle.

I have no doubt that a vegetarian diet is a significant improvement over the modern junk food diet that most people eat. It's a bonus point for sure. The only thing I'd add that is that a balanced, calorie restricted diet is probably better still. I hope they test that hypothesis someday.

misterE's Photo misterE 08 Apr 2013

Did they look at these lifestyle changes separately or was this another one of these studies that fails to control all the variables. Do we know if you need all the changes is just high veg, or low fat or exercise enough on its own?

No. It was a combination of the three (diet, exercise, stress-management). I personally believe diet played the major role (75% or so). Research also from the Pritikin-longevity center found that prostate cancer cells could undergo apoptosis in-vitro by going on a low-fat/high-fiber complex carbohydrate diet combined with exercise. The same diet reverses atherosclerosis and type-2 diabetes.

misterE's Photo misterE 08 Apr 2013

calorie restricted diet is probably better still.

A low-fat/high-fiber diet is a calorie-restricted diet. Fat is calorically-dense, it contains over twice the calories of carbohydrate! Fiber contains no calories at all, so eating a low-fat/high-fiber diet, effortlessly reduces the amount of calories you eat, without restricting the amount of food you eat.

xEva's Photo xEva 01 Dec 2013

Research also from the Pritikin-longevity center found that prostate cancer cells could undergo apoptosis in-vitro by going on a low-fat/high-fiber complex carbohydrate diet combined with exercise.

cancer cells undergo apoptosis in-vitro by going on a diet combined with exercise. :-D