←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

R-ALA

blaise's Photo blaise 02 Jun 2005

I have heard that you should refrigerate R-ALA. Is this true?

I have 40 grams I just purchased from CNW and it seems very clumpy, moist and sticky, but it does disolve in water.

It has a yellowish color, sorta smells like rubber and has a slight bitter taste. Has this R-ALA gone bad or is it supposed to be like this?

LifeMirage's Photo LifeMirage 02 Jun 2005

I have heard that you should refrigerate R-ALA. Is this true?

I have 40 grams I just purchased from CNW and it seems very clumpy, moist and sticky, but it does disolve in water.

It has a yellowish color, sorta smells like rubber and has a slight bitter taste. Has this R-ALA gone bad or is it supposed to be like this?

Yes this is true with most R-Lipoic's the KRALA being an exception.

While many compounds are stable in powder forms and are easy to make R-Lipoic is not one of them. I recommend either AOR's which comes from europe (the source many of the studies in animals are based on) or Geronova (made in the US).

While I normally do not make brand recommendation some compounds are very diffcult to make and most companies can not reproduce many of the newer compounds at the same quality.

blaise's Photo blaise 02 Jun 2005

So you are saying I should refrigerate all of the R-ALA I have?

I also have in capsule form: Syntrax R, AST R-ALA 200, Source Naturals R-Lipoic Acid and Bulk Nutritions R-ALA.

I guess I just should have saved my money and purchased AOR or Geronova.

LifeMirage's Photo LifeMirage 02 Jun 2005

So you are saying I should refrigerate all of the R-ALA I have?

I also have in capsule form: Syntrax R, AST R-ALA 200, Source Naturals R-Lipoic Acid and Bulk Nutritions R-ALA.

I guess I just should have saved my money and purchased AOR or Geronova.

I had someone test Source Naturals product and while I like Source Naturals products they did not realize the extensive problems making a stable R-Lipoic acid product.

Yes refrigerate it.

eternaltraveler's Photo eternaltraveler 02 Jun 2005

It polymerizes very easily. I'm becoming more convinced the potassium salt is a far superior form, I'm yet to be convinced the dihydro form is of more value however.

LifeMirage's Photo LifeMirage 03 Jun 2005

It polymerizes very easily. I'm becoming more convinced the potassium salt is a far superior form, I'm yet to be convinced the dihydro form is of more value however.

There is a very strong need for human studies on R-Lipoic, KR Lipoic, and its reduced form Dihydrolipoic. I look forward to Geronova promoting such research.

exigentsky's Photo exigentsky 03 Jun 2005

Yes this is true with most R-Lipoic's the KRALA being an exception.

In that case, do you think I should refrigerate Ortho-Mind?

chelovd's Photo chelovd 03 Jun 2005

Thanks for the info. I have lots of R-ala at room temperature, & I'm in LA :(

LifeMirage's Photo LifeMirage 03 Jun 2005

In that case, do you think I should refrigerate Ortho-Mind?

Yes, I do.