←  Lifestyle

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Getting double-jaw surgery, recovery stack?

Alexander Brodsky's Photo Alexander Brodsky 14 Jan 2014

Hi guys, I'm less than a week away from getting my jaws torn from my body and screwed back together. I'm doing a ketogenic diet so trying to avoid milk/grains. What can I do to help me recover as fast as possible? I want my bones to grow back and grow back stronger, along with soft tissue repair.

I also want to continue training in swimming, powerlifting and boxing as soon as I can without risking broken bones (from punches and whatnot) in the future. Anyway I can help that?

Thanks!

nupi's Photo nupi 14 Jan 2014

Not to scare you, but from experience (distraction of my lower jaw to fix a 1.2cm overbite): you want strong painkillers (think Tramadol, at least, stronger opiates if you can get them) for the first couple of weeks. Personally, the not eating any real food for 4 months part bugged me a lot, so you might also want to think about visiting a shrink at some point. Forget about training until you can eat again, it's hard enough to get enough calories as it is (to limit muscle loss, Creatine might be an option).

Also, if you do not have one yet, definitely get a good blender and a good food processor (pretty surprising what you can put in there and eat, protein shakes go only so far) and one of the dental showers thingies as brushing teeth is pretty much impossible.
Edited by nupi, 14 January 2014 - 09:08 AM.

blood's Photo blood 14 Jan 2014

I'm less than a week away from getting my jaws torn from my body and screwed back together.

Do you mind saying why you are doing this?

JohnD60's Photo JohnD60 14 Jan 2014

Liquids, Pre mixed protein drinks and scrambled eggs with be about all you can eat for a week. Pills will be hard to swallow. Some powered vitamins might be useful. I think you would be crazy to engage in boxing after having such a surgery, ever. It will probably be two weeks before you can resume a normal workout schedule.