←  Nutrition

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Pro serotonergic prebiotics/probiotics

Judd Crane's Photo Judd Crane 20 May 2014

I've noted quite a bit of serotonergic effects from resistant starch supplementation and I'm wondering if these effects extends to other pre or probiotics aswell and which are the most potent?

Thanks.

ElixirOfLife's Photo ElixirOfLife 29 May 2014

How did you draw this amazing conclusion? 

Do you associate well being with serotonin, and the resistant starch is making you feel better so it's pro-serotonergic?

I think resistant starch works as a result of many other downstream effects which modulate mood, so your conclusion about serotonergic effects isn't a safe conclusion to make. You're not going to find a more potent set of pre-pro biotics in terms of serotonin (or even mood stimulation). In essence, you're already feeding the gut plenty of what it needs to create the bacteria that will eventually die and feed other bacteria which product butyrate - which is the signal the brain needs to do it's thing.

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

maximum411's Photo maximum411 06 Jun 2014

Lactobacillus rhamnosus has been shown in mouse studies to be GABAergic.