←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Is making up sleep debt worth it?

Guinevere's Photo Guinevere 20 Jun 2014

Starting from birth till my age now (19), I've estimated that I'm behind an accumulated 3000 hours of sleep. This is assuming that I needed 9 hours per day before 18 and 8 hours per day after 18. I suppose if I sleep 9 hours per day for the next 3000 days, I could theoretically make up this sleep debt. But is it worth it? I mean, I usually don't feel tired but maybe it's because my body has adapted to it.

PWAIN's Photo PWAIN 20 Jun 2014

If your circumstances allow, you should sleep as long as your body wants too. As for debt, it has been long since written off as a bad debt :). Live health now, don't try to fix the past.

Raza's Photo Raza 20 Jun 2014

What PWAIN said. trust your hypothalamus to track and manage your sleep debt; if you don't set an alarm and have no present insomnia, you'll sleep as long as you need to.

5ht2a's Photo 5ht2a 20 Jun 2014

Guineverne, you totally misunderstood the concept of sleep debt. You haven't accumulated 3000 hours of sleep-deficit, that's just not how it works. I can assure, you, as soon as you sleep well for 2 or maybe 3 days, there is no sleep debt left. Sleep debt is what you have before a restfull night, after that, it's gone.