←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Why is it that ANYTHING that is helpful fo...

agwoodliffe's Photo agwoodliffe 03 Nov 2014

I'm no pharmacologist, so forgive me if this is a rather naive post.

But I have read studies which document that both Methylphenidate and Amphetamine have some form of testosterone-blunting effect. With Methylphenidate, this appears to be due to increased liver metabolism, whereas with Amphetamine, there appear to be multiple routes.

Funnily enough, even herbal dopamine raisers, like Scutellaria Baicalensis and Salvia Miltiorrhiza, have a suppressant effect.

I am of the opinion that all of these are due to a vasoconstrictive effect of dopamine/norepinephrine (at least to some degree).

Since the standard stimulants are regarded to have the most efficacy, I have to ask, is this effect prominent at standard therapeutic doses?

If so, could these effects be mitigated with well known testosterone-sparers, like D-Aspartic Acid and Eurycoma Longifolia?

zompy's Photo zompy 03 Nov 2014

Just read another article on D-aspartic claiming it does not even influence Testosterone. It'd rather try something else.

agwoodliffe's Photo agwoodliffe 03 Nov 2014

Like steroids? ;)

OneScrewLoose's Photo OneScrewLoose 05 Nov 2014

Can you link to studies that demonstrate that stimulants like the ones mentioned above "blunt" testosterone?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 05 November 2014 - 08:42 AM.

RonBurgandy's Photo RonBurgandy 10 Nov 2014

Mucana pruriens, Ashwaganda and CDP Choline.

Edited by RonBurgandy, 10 November 2014 - 03:58 AM.

d3C3pT0R's Photo d3C3pT0R 28 Nov 2014

Link some studies

ToJump's Photo ToJump 28 Nov 2014

OP, to answer your question in a common sense, "simple" manner:

-In general, pharmaceutical drugs are more potent than herbs;
-Pharmaceutical drugs often come with shitty side effects;

That's it. You can try herbal supplements that won't blunt testosterone, but they will likely be milder than amphetamines...

Dan1976's Photo Dan1976 28 Nov 2014

High testosterone makes you chase skirts. By inhibiting testosterone you avoid this distraction and you can focus better. :-)

TheFountain's Photo TheFountain 29 Nov 2014

Cause, sex man sex. Havin a dick is distracting. Hence the ADHD. 

Noopho's Photo Noopho 01 Dec 2014

ZMA supplements help quite a bit when trying to level out hormonal disturbance

solarfingers's Photo solarfingers 03 Dec 2014

I found that Adrafinil + Caffein is the magic bullet for my ADHD... I don't need to take it every day and can get by on taking it just once a week as it's effects tend to linger with me.

david ellis's Photo david ellis 05 Dec 2014

No troubles with testosterone, I use lithium aspartate (5mg) to blunt the methylphenidate. YMMV

OneScrewLoose's Photo OneScrewLoose 06 Dec 2014

I found that Adrafinil + Caffein is the magic bullet for my ADHD... I don't need to take it every day and can get by on taking it just once a week as it's effects tend to linger with me.

I know Adrafinil is easier to get, but it's not good for the liver. Try to get a script for modafinil or armodafinil if you can.

solarfingers's Photo solarfingers 07 Dec 2014

I know Adrafinil is easier to get, but it's not good for the liver. Try to get a script for modafinil or armodafinil if you can.

I think it's OK in moderation.  I had my blood tested... no problem.

OneScrewLoose's Photo OneScrewLoose 07 Dec 2014

Do you not qualify under the patient assistance program for either?

solarfingers's Photo solarfingers 07 Dec 2014

No  my insurance turned down the doctors prescription for Modifinil or Armodafinil...  I had a script but could not fill it without paying an exorbitant fee.