←  Mental Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

SSRI mood side effects, aggression, etc.

therapist's Photo therapist 06 Nov 2014

My gf is on celexa (citalopram).  Recently she's changed;  extremely trivial/small things disproportionally upset her, causing her to build up anger, which she'll then release by lashing out at me.

I tried to talk to her about this; I told her there's noticeable changes to her mood, attitude, and personality. She's semi-aware that SSRIs cause dangerous mood-altering side effects, but still continues to lash out at people for the most inconsequential things, refuses to realize her new/late aggression is drug-fueled, and claims myself and others are the ones with problems.

I'm pretty sure the drugs are causing her to act this way.  Can anyone provide any useful resources, studies, anything?

drg's Photo drg 07 Nov 2014

It is known that antidepressant can trigger mania in people with bipolar. Everything you say is possible.

At the end of your post you say 'drugs', is she on more than one?

In the end the decision whether to take a certain med is whether the benefits are worth the side effects. And it is not a question you can answer for her. Maybe she's feeling better despite lashing out. Idk.

sponsored ad  

Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

datrat's Photo datrat 07 Nov 2014

In some people too much serotonin can lead to an increase in NE firing which can lead to increased irritability/anger. I'm one of those lucky few that have this problem.

sponsored ad  

Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Thew's Photo Thew 10 Nov 2014

It is possible that she is being aggressive because of the drugs she's taking. It might be one of the side effects.