←  Medicine & Diseases

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

chikungunya virus help

LexLux's Photo LexLux 18 Dec 2014

My mother recently recovered from chikugunya, she was treated with antivrials and steroid anti-inflammatory drugs. As a result of the virus, she suffered from arthritis for a short time following this but seems to be recovering now. 

I am looking for long term treatment options for her to avoid chronic arthritis and any other long term side effects. I'm personally leaning towards curcumin.

Here's a link to a recent paper about treatment options: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24434329

Any advice?

niner's Photo niner 19 Dec 2014

That's a tough one.  In the paper you linked, it says that there is a lot of overlap between chikugunya-induced arthritis and RA.  Is she off steroids now?  You don't want to use those long term if you can help it, but a few weeks is ok.  If she's recovering, then maybe she doesn't need all that much, but things that work for RA would be logical candidates, if she's still having arthritic symptoms.  A TNF-a monoclonal like Enbrel or numerous others comes to mind.  Curcumin seems like a reasonable thing to try. 

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).