←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

SAMe and L-Tyrosine?

ambra's Photo ambra 03 Nov 2005

I`m trying an alternative treatment for depression. I always have been depressed but it got really bad lately, hitting to a major episode.
I have pretty good results with SAMe at 400mg/day and wandering if I could ad some L-tyrosine (I think dopamine is the culprit for my state of mind) and Vinpocetine (for mental clarity).
Anybody else tried this combo, does it work? What dosage should I consider for each?
I would appreciate any advice.

gcurrie's Photo gcurrie 03 Nov 2005

Other items to consider:

DLPA
Deprenyl
Alcar
Bacopa monnieri

I have experienced some mood elevation with each of these.

If you try vinpocentine, I recommend 10 mg with every meal if you want a noticeable effect.

xanadu's Photo xanadu 03 Nov 2005

St john's wort is a decent herb for that, you might want to give it a try. The very best thing for depression that I know of is salvia divinorum. It was already discussed in another thread so I won't bore everyone with it again.

goku's Photo goku 04 Nov 2005

salvia is apparently the most powerful natural hallucinogen known, although apparently digestive enzymes break down the hallucinogenic constituent. It acts on opiod receptors I think. Might wanna do some more research before using that one or if Xanadu can shed some more light on this peculiar substance.

ambra's Photo ambra 04 Nov 2005

Thank you all for the advices. I read Xanadu`s posts about salvia and will conssider it as an alternative but for the time being SAMe is helping a lot and would stick to it.
My question is if L-Tyrosine would help too. Can I take it along with SAMe? Are there any precautions I should know about?

xanadu's Photo xanadu 04 Nov 2005

Don't discount st john's just because it's over the counter. It's a decend mood lifter. Salvia is of course the most powerful of all. Far as I know, no one has ever used it for depression and reported it didn't work. You do have to be careful of the dose to avoid the side effects. It really is a dream inducer and you will dream more. Piracetam increaces dreaming too and I believe it lifts the mood a little.