←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

"L" versions?

goku's Photo goku 04 Nov 2005

Is there a difference between the "L" versions of substances and the non "L" versions and what does the L version mean. I mean as regards L-Glutamine, L-arginine, etc.

exigentsky's Photo exigentsky 04 Nov 2005

I'm not certain, but I think it is the same thing in most cases. I.E.: Deprenyl = L-Deprenyl, L-Glutamine = Glutamine, L - Arginine = Arginine. I think the L is sometimes omitted for conciseness.

rfarris's Photo rfarris 05 Nov 2005

L stands for levo, and refers to chirality. A levo enantiomer will rotate light in a counter-clockwise direction. The mirror image of a levo enantiomer is referred to as dextro enantiomer, which will rotate light in the clockwise direction. If the chirality isn't specified, then it is possible that the product may well be a racemic product, which refers to being composed of a 50:50 mixture of levo and dextro mirror images.

purerealm's Photo purerealm 06 Nov 2005

can someone translate that into english?

oilfieldpilot's Photo oilfieldpilot 06 Nov 2005

well, clear as mud to me!

(pssst...what's it all mean, though...?)

I guess all that matters is that you 'swallow' it...as he suggested in another thread...
;)

exitscratch7's Photo exitscratch7 06 Nov 2005

Most amino acid supplements (at least most of the effective ones) are sold with the L isomer. Usually the D isomer is inactive, although tere are exceptions (D-phenylalanine seems to have differing effects from L-phenylalanine).

I was just reading a thread about how theanine (a common amino acid, present in high concentrations in green tea) is often sold with a racemic mixture of D and L isomers. Apparently not only are the D isomers ineffective, they also inhibit absorption of the L-isomers. This renders the theanine much less effective than a purely l-theanine product.

rfarris's Photo rfarris 06 Nov 2005

can someone translate that into english?

That was my short attempt. Here's the long version:

Chirality

ajnast4r's Photo ajnast4r 10 Nov 2005

simple: "L = left spin" "D = right spin"

the body likes L

the body does not like D