←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Supplements

timmusi's Photo timmusi 08 Nov 2005

Since Carnosine is a dipeptide made up of Beta-alanine and L-Hisitidine, could one receive
the same benefits by supplmenting with Beta-alanine and L-Histidine?

Shepard's Photo Shepard 08 Nov 2005

I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think so.

ageless's Photo ageless 10 Nov 2005

Yes. Actually I read some good research suggesting supplementing with Beta-alanine and L-Histidine may work better. I know in the sports nutrition world companies like MAN Sports and others have been releasing products to act as lactic acid buffers with beta-alanine included. Some research shows improved performance and increased muscle carnosine esp. in fast twitch fibers where carnosine is found.

trh001's Photo trh001 14 Mar 2006

I don't have the reference at my fingertips, but yes, L-His has been cited as raising L-Carnosine levels, and the converse is true as well. There seems to be a family of related Histidine peptides at issue, here, all of which are viewed with increasing importance. See the link below to a discussion.

6) Anti-crosslinking properties of carnosine: significance of histidine.
Life Sci. 2004 Jul 30;75(11):1379-89.
PMID: 15234195

7) Histidine and carnosine delay diabetic deterioration in mice and protect human low density lipoprotein against oxidation and glycation. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005 Apr 18;513(1-2):145-50. Epub 2005 Apr 2.
PMID: 15878720

http://www.imminst.o...t=0