←  Nutrition

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Fat Confusion

misterE's Photo misterE 12 Feb 2016

Before I get started I need to give credit where credit is due: most of this comes from Matt Stone of 180 Degree Health, who among others (like Ray Peat) completely changed the way I think about fats.

The mainstream view on fat: is that saturated-fat comes from animals and is harmful to your health, while unsaturated-fat comes from plants and is beneficial to your health. Yet, the most saturated-fat on the planet comes from a plant; coconut, which is 90% saturated, while bacon-grease is only 40% saturated.

The most unsaturated-fat possible doesn't come from a plant, but rather an animal; fish-oil, which is high in the highly-unsaturated-fatty-acids EPA and DHA. Sardine-oil is 26% polyunsaturated-fat, while avocado-oil is only 13% polyunsaturated-fat.

But perhaps the amount of saturated-fat doesn't really matter for health all that much, maybe it is the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio that really matters, well if that is so, you would be better off getting your fat from cream and beef rather than peanuts or almonds:

Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio

Cream:1 to 1.5

Beef-fat: 1 to 5

Almonds: 1 to 2097

Peanuts: 1 to 5487

And if all that wasn't confusing enough, there is another type of fat called mead-acid, which has very unique beneficial properties that protect against oxidative-stress and inflammation, this type of fat isn't found in any food whatsoever, but rather made inside the body. However it is only made if ALL polyunsaturated-fats are kept very low in the diet. 

Things from a distance look very simple, yet when you put things under a microscope, you see a whole new world you never knew existed. Hope you found this post entertaining.  

Edited by misterE, 12 February 2016 - 04:30 AM.

aconita's Photo aconita 12 Feb 2016

Just to add a bit of pepper....

It is not just omega 3 but long chain omega 3 that really matters...and that is only found in seafood.

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Darryl's Photo Darryl 13 Feb 2016

Mods, you might want to inform MisterE that his account has been hacked.