←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

food for thought and poison for quackery

circuitblue's Photo circuitblue 13 Dec 2005

http://www.csmmh.org/special.html

"examples of how the public is being endangered by alternative medicine"

scottl's Photo scottl 13 Dec 2005

"At least 38 people died and more than 1,500 were disabled by eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome following consumption of contaminated L-tryptophan before the FDA banned the sale of the supplement in 1990."

Ahhh I see so a batch of contaminated tryptophan is evidence that alternative medicine endangers the public...

and high protein diets make your kidneys explode.

Viox anyone?

ajnast4r's Photo ajnast4r 13 Dec 2005

ill take vioxx and 2 kidneys please...

that article is BS...

contemporary western medicine has killed more people than alternative has

scottl's Photo scottl 13 Dec 2005

contemporary western medicine has killed more people than alternative has

[thumb]

mnosal's Photo mnosal 13 Dec 2005

Wasn't OTC L-tryptophan banned exactly when the new SSRIs hit the market?

DukeNukem's Photo DukeNukem 13 Dec 2005

This article is not BS, actually. Though it IS heavily spun by not giving the complete picture. There are plenty of supplements that are worthless junk, and a subset of those that are harmful. Lots of the cheaper fish oils, for example, probably have containments and mercury.

The key is to buy from the larger supplements that have a lot to lose if they were found to have harmful contaminants in their product. There are several that I trust, like New Chapter, LEF, Bluebonnet, Purity, and a few others.

ajnast4r's Photo ajnast4r 14 Dec 2005

Wasn't OTC L-tryptophan banned exactly when the new SSRIs hit the market?

yup, like a week before... [wis]

because of contamination from a japanese company who decided to try to cut a few corners... had nothing to do with the saftey of the supplement itself

scottl's Photo scottl 14 Dec 2005

ajnast4r,

had you posted something about purity or have any experience with COAs on their stuff?

ajnast4r's Photo ajnast4r 14 Dec 2005

ajnast4r,

had you posted something about purity or have any experience with COAs on their stuff?

not purity...not familiar with that brand

puritans pride i believe, refused to send assays to someone on this board just recently

DukeNukem's Photo DukeNukem 14 Dec 2005

Purity = www.purityproducts.com

I especially like their Green Tea Max extract, which I add to everything I drink. Each dropper has an ORAC value of around 5000. Plus, it's just an awesome blend of ingredients, not just green tea.

Great place to buy Longevinex, too, the best resveratrol product I've found.