←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Is it worth continuing PQQ?

bigmillz's Photo bigmillz 20 Oct 2016

Been taking 20mg/day for close to a year. Unfortunately, my log wasn't too detailed back then when I started. The main reason back then was because my 23andme turned up a SOD2 mutation.

Anyways, I don't recall ever noticing much gain from PQQ. I've been thinking about discontinuing, lowering the dose, or trying a period without it.

Anyone know how long it might take to notice if it was benefiting me at all?

Or, would 20mg every other day be useful as well to me?

If I'm not noticing anything, is it worth taking for future health reasons?

PeaceAndProsperity's Photo PeaceAndProsperity 21 Oct 2016

I would say, take alcar instead. Or take both. Some say they only notice an effect during sublingual administration but I've personally never used PQQ

gamesguru's Photo gamesguru 21 Oct 2016

It's expensive stuff, with scant research supporting any single use.  Tempted to say your money is better spent on broccoli, blueberries, tea, or flavonoid supplements.

Depends how old you are, if you're young the 100 to 400 mcg you get from diet may be enough, if you're older it may time to ramp it up (20mg or more).  One study found 0.2mg/kg to be highly effective in chickens[1].  For a 65kg human with a chicken:human conversion ratio of 4, that would correspond to a mere 0.2/4*65 = 3.25mg.  An exceptional diet may provide closer to 1.2mg and provide obvious benefits.

bigmillz's Photo bigmillz 21 Oct 2016

I would say, take alcar instead. Or take both. Some say they only notice an effect during sublingual administration but I've personally never used PQQ

I actually went from ALCAR to LCF - the ALCAR was way too stimulating to me, and put me in a really rotten mood after just a few days. LCF has been much smoother.

bigmillz's Photo bigmillz 21 Oct 2016

It's expensive stuff, with scant research supporting any single use.  Tempted to say your money is better spent on broccoli, blueberries, tea, or flavonoid supplements.

Depends how old you are, if you're young the 100 to 400 mcg you get from diet may be enough, if you're older it may time to ramp it up (20mg or more).  One study found 0.2mg/kg to be highly effective in chickens[1].  For a 65kg human with a chicken:human conversion ratio of 4, that would correspond to a mere 0.2/4*65 = 3.25mg.  An exceptional diet may provide closer to 1.2mg and provide obvious benefits.

Yea, if it weren't for the cost, I'd feel much differently about it, but it sure ain't cheap. On the flipside, the $8/mo I spend on methylB12 blows it out of the water as far as results.

logicmuffin's Photo logicmuffin 22 Oct 2016

I'm skeptical that PQQ crosses the blood brain barrier. If you look at its chemical structure it has 3 carboxylic acid groups and a basic nitrogen. Therefore it's water soluble and won't easily pass phospholipid barrier. 

gamesguru's Photo gamesguru 22 Oct 2016

Lipophobic agents can squeeze thru the tight junctions.  PQQ is also anionic, so it has plenty of uptake sites to use for adsorptive transcytosis. 

I also read about this on examine.com, but I'm not so sure it has issues at the BBB, because all the neuroprotective studies reporting significant benefits (including the one on traumatic brain injury) seem to use intraperitoneal or intravenous injection, which would suggest ready BBB permeability.  If it had problems there, we would expect to rely on intracerebral injection.

Fig-1-Solute-transport-mechanisms-across