←  Nutrition

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Toasted wheat germ

Qowpel's Photo Qowpel 15 Dec 2016

Hello my friends.

I was wondering what amount of glycation Toasted wheat germ possesses? I cannot find any sources for this, but for what it is worth it is fairly moderate and protein and fat, so toasting those two together could effectively equate to a good deal of glycation if I am not mistaken. Any ideas? Should I drop this lovely addition to my oatmeal?

timar's Photo timar 15 Dec 2016

I wouldn't worry about it at all. It it toasted only for a very short time (to disable the enzymes and some of the lectins it contains), it is rather low in protein and the oil is extremely high in tocopherol, which acts a glycation inhibitor. Most importantly, given the density of wheat germ you probably don't eat very large amounts of it.

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Harkijn's Photo Harkijn 24 Apr 2017

There used to be a thriving spermidine thread on LC but I can't find it now ( and the Google Site Search function seems to be out of order for some time already). So for all you lovers of wheatgerm, but also of mushrooms and aged cheese, I post this encouraging link there:

https://www.scienced...70421091816.htm

(btw; just to be sure I buy the non-toasted version)

aconita's Photo aconita 24 Apr 2017

I would worry about the gluten content instead, very much so even if I agree that the amounts are probably relatively moderate.