←  Ageless Looks

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Best gold standard supplements for beautif...

Faustina's Photo Faustina 07 Jul 2017

I am really interested in the supplements people here swear by for great youthful skin. I'd love to have a discussion about what supplements you really feel help keep the skin looking great as we age (full disclosure I am almost 40!). I am happy for the discussion to touch on nutrition and if people have any studies to link to that would be great.

For my own part I noticed a nice boost to my skin when I started taking l-lysine 1000mg although that may be due to my being vegetarian.

Would love to hear what you all think!

Faustina's Photo Faustina 11 Jul 2017

Ok so to reply to my own topic, I have just skimmed my large collection of skincare books including titles by Dr Perricone, Dr Maurd, Dr Lancer, Dr Jannette Graf, Leslie Kenton and Nigma Talib and more. From these I have tried to extract the most frequently recommended supplements to improve skin health.

So the most recommened supplements were:

Antioxidents in general(see below)*

Omega 3 Oils
Vitamin D3
B-Complex (High Strength)
Lycopene
Calcium
Selenium
Copper
Zinc
Magnesium

* Antioxidents where the most recommened supplement when grouped together including: Vitamins A, C & E. Cartinoids, Lycopene, Bioflavinoids, Zeaxanthin, Quescitin, Lutin, Pynocgenol, Beta carotebe, anthocyanins etc

In addition to these most frequently recommened supplements there were some that were touted in more than one book as must have antiaging supplements:

Carnosine - to prevent glycation
MSM
Nictinamide
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Co-Enzyme Q10
Probiotics

Every single book also recommended:

- a varied wholefood diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.
-Lots of water
-Enough Sleep each night
-that stress be dealt with and avoided e.g. yoga, meditation etc
- regular exercise

Looking at the above information it looks like a good basic regimen might be something like a good quality multivitamin and mineral supplement,an Antioxident formula, B-Complex, Omega Oil supplement (especially omega 3) and Vitamin D3 supplement. Then you might pick and choose from add on supplements such as MSM, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Co-Enzyme Q10 etc or any others you would like to try? Perhaps it is worth systematically trying them to see what makes a difference and keeping notes?

There are other things to consider like hormone health but some multivitamins are specially formulated for women (or men) so support hormones.

Note:
Green Tea was mentioned in a lot of the books but if you like tea drinking a couple of cups a day would probably be enough as too much green tea extract can be toxic I believe.

Let me know what you guys think!

sponsored ad  

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Vitalist's Photo Vitalist 12 Jul 2017

I will just chime in and say that by chance I found MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) to be very good for the skin. You can take the supplement or use the skin cream. If you use the skin cream you need to get a cream that has a high MSM content meaning MSM is listed as one of the first ingredients in the list. 

Faustina's Photo Faustina 13 Jul 2017

Hi Boxing Guy, thanks for replying. I never thought to use MSM in a topical treatment. I will need to take a look and see if it is available in the UK or if I can do a DIY to try it!

sharpie456's Photo sharpie456 21 Jul 2017

Young skin doesn't come from a pill.  Avoiding the sun, diet, exercise, sunscreen, and retin-a will do more for skin than any pill from a bottle.