←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Memantine's effects on GABA & NMDA...

HelpMeOut's Photo HelpMeOut 11 Aug 2017

I have taken Memantine several times during my benzo and opioid withdrawal. It greatly helped with my nerve pain and I am not sure why exactly.

I consider it to take it again as I suspect that the pain that is caused when I take opioids may have to do with NMDA overactivity, especially

since I have stopped benzos at the beginning of the year.

However, I have a question about Memantine's effect on GABAA and NMDA receptors.

Memantine is a non competitive NMDA receptor antagonist. Does this mean that prolonged treatment with Memantine will upregulate

NMDA receptors to counter the antagonism?

I am also wondering how Memantine affects GABAA receptors and GABA transmission in general especially since it's a weak D2 agonist.

Will it rather lower or increase GABA transmission? I can't find any research on this. But normally, increased dopamine means decreased

GABA, right?

I hope someone with knowledge chimes in! :)

Kind regards

HMO

normalizing's Photo normalizing 12 May 2018

i wonder this too but it seems people on this forum arent that educated to know such thing as it is evident by the lack of replies