Nicotinamide Mononucleotide (NMN) personal experience thread

nmn nicotinamide mononucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
309 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ write a quiz!

#301 Andey

• 517 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

And what about taking NMN with Methylene Blue? Sounds like a highly synergistic combination.

It would defy the purpose of taking H2O2 as it supposed to signals prooxidative state and provoke a hormetic response to activate antioxidative genes. In a sense, its an exercise mimicking as a similar thing happens after exercise.

I imagine taking MB with it would mean that nothing happens as MB is a powerful antioxidant and would negate H2O2.

It's a clever concept, kudos to the authors.

• Agree x 1

#302 stefan_001

• 1,020 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

@andey I dont see how H202 makes it through the digestive system except damaging what it touches on the way down. Then you can better drink a lot of coffee at the same time which is at least shown to raise hydrogen peroxide levels in urine:

https://www.tandfonl...715760000300461

The levels of H2O2 detected in urine suggest that exposure of human tissues to H2O2 may be greater than is commonly supposed.

In general swallowing polyphenols will trigger one hormetic reaction or another. But does that help improving pathway capacity? At least I dont see how. Or?

Edited by stefan_001, 13 January 2019 - 12:46 PM.

• Informative x 2

#303 boroda

• 30 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

It would defy the purpose of taking H2O2 as it supposed to signals prooxidative state and provoke a hormetic response to activate antioxidative genes. In a sense, its an exercise mimicking as a similar thing happens after exercise.

I imagine taking MB with it would mean that nothing happens as MB is a powerful antioxidant and would negate H2O2.

It's a clever concept, kudos to the authors.

I didn't mean taking NMN + H2O2 + MB together. I was asking about just NMN + MB combo. Since MB raises NAD+/Sirt1 too (same as NMN) - supposedly they should synergize with NMN very well.

#304 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

If we stop taking one or the other of the activators our inflammation numbers start going back up and personally my arthritis pain starts to come back. 

Another thing that I have noticed is that my acid reflux has cleared up.  In the past it used to flare up to the point where I would have to take a course of Prilosec about once a year.  I have not had any flareups in the past 3 years.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#305 Andey

• 517 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

@andey I dont see how H202 makes it through the digestive system except damaging what it touches on the way down. Then you can better drink a lot of coffee at the same time which is at least shown to raise hydrogen peroxide levels in urine:

https://www.tandfonl...715760000300461

The levels of H2O2 detected in urine suggest that exposure of human tissues to H2O2 may be greater than is commonly supposed.

In general swallowing polyphenols will trigger one hormetic reaction or another. But does that help improving pathway capacity? At least I dont see how. Or?

I don't know and can't find any scientific paper that measured H2O2 levels in the blood or tissue after oral digestion. Authors of the patent application assume it happens and it looks plausible as it's a small enough molecule to easy penetrate membranes.

#306 stefan_001

• 1,020 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

If we stop taking one or the other of the activators our inflammation numbers start going back up and personally my arthritis pain starts to come back. 

Another thing that I have noticed is that my acid reflux has cleared up.  In the past it used to flare up to the point where I would have to take a course of Prilosec about once a year.  I have not had any flareups in the past 3 years.

So you are saying that the testing has shown that taking NMN alone does not bring health benefits? Or? That is interesting.

Edited by stefan_001, 13 January 2019 - 02:28 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • dislike x 1

#307 sthira

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

...People claim to cure all kind of things with it, including cancer. This practice is usually criticized as a woo-woo by sensible people here.

I imagine you use a 3% H2O2 for it, undiluted 35% could be too harsh for this. Just to be clear so nobody would harm himself.

That's right, a tablespoon or two of 3% H2O2, swish it around for less than a minute, then rinse with out yo' dirty mouth with water. It says on the very bottle itself that the stuff is a mouthwash. I try not to do too much or for too long; yet it's indicated to destroy harmful dental bacteria and help heal gingivitis, and also whitens coffee-stained teeth. Test these benefits on yourself, prove it to you. Science isn't going to study this -- no money to be made here. Long term application? Who knows. Give it a break, too, use it cyclically. Sorry I'm off topic here :(
  • Agree x 3
  • Informative x 1

#308 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

So you are saying that the testing has shown that taking NMN alone does not bring health benefits? Or? That is interesting.

Not at all.  For the first 30 to 60 days supplementing with just NMN gives us all the wonderful benefits that we have been reading about.  Somewhere between 30 and 60 days homeostasis starts to kick in and the degree of those benefits begin to decrease just like in the Elysium study on NR.  When we supplement NMN with the activators the degree of benefits does not drop off at all, even years later.  The activators keep the system in balance and prevent the homeostatic negative feedback loop from appearing in the first place.

Interestingly when I tired my 3 month supplementation with 500 mg twice daily NR, the activators had no effect at all.  

• Informative x 4
  • Needs references x 1

#309 stefan_001

• 1,020 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

@lawerencew personally I believe both compounds have overlapping effects so I would have expected that you also notice NR use, its strange. It hard to comment on the activator statements as nobody knows what they are. In general I also use a rotating cocktail of polyphenols together with NR. While NAD+ boosting is definetely an anchor component its also clear that it by itself it  not enough to stay young. But definitely a good start.

As a sidenote I know you always lead all my comment back to holding shares in Chromadex but from an investor perspective I do not mind the developments around NMN at all. In fact I think the publicity around NMN and as result NAD+ boosting is beneficial for sales. If future research points out that NMN and NR have significant unique impacts, meaning they are more complementary than overlapping that would be even more fantastic as Chromadex can offer combo supplements. If they are largely overlapping then that is not a worry either, the planet is more than big enough and the competition will help boost awareness about NAD+. My estimate is that the target audience for NAD booster is somewhere between 500-1000M people. I will sign for 100M Niagen users immediately and happily sell off my stake :-)

Edited by stefan_001, 13 January 2019 - 07:41 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • dislike x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Good Point x 1

⌛⇒ write a quiz!

#310 seescaper

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:57 AM

When taking hydrogen peroxide, are you saying to use 2-3 drops of 355 solution diluted in water? Would an oral dental mix, Colgate Peroxyl 1.5%, work as well, just swallowing some after the rinse?  Also, do you think it exerts it's effect by absorption intraorally or via the GI tract? On contacting stomach acid it would likely be modified considerably.  

that should have been 35% lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmn, nicotinamide mononucleotide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users