Vitamin A - Best article I've read

vitamin a

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rorororo

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2020 - 03:36 AM

So I've recently started supplementing vitamin A 10,000 IU every other day. My reasoning for doing such is that I really don't eat much food containing preformed vitamin A or provitamin A. I started on 5/17 so I've now taken 5 softgels. I don't know if this is placebo or not but something just feels different. I feel as though my immune system is stronger. I had a slight sore throat for a couple of weeks prior to starting it. After the second pill it was gone. My dry feet (deficiency symptom) is actually improving. My feet feel a bit more moisturized than usual. Pimple breakouts (deficiency symptom) on my back are drying out and going away.

I have no idea where I'm going with this it's late and I'm tired. I read the following article and thought I'd share it with everyone here. It's by far the best article I've read on vitamin A. I suspect vitamin A deficiency is a lot more common than what's currently being reported. If you start supplementing vitamin A just make sure your vitamin D levels are sufficient.

Anyhow, here's the article....feel free to share your thoughts.

https://www.clinical...-immune-system/

"The gut is where health begins, and is also home to a huge microbiome made of innumerable species of bacteria. Vitamin A is the key to the gut making the right decisions. When you are deficient in vitamin A, you veer towards a type of effector T cell called TH17 and its production of IL-17—inflammation pro-inflammatory cytokine, with propensity to causing autoimmune disease. In contrast, when your stores of vitamin A are sufficient, you’ll have enough peripheral naïve T cells converted to T regulatory cells (Tregs) to help maintain tolerance across the immune system, and quench ‘inappropriate inflammation’ derived from the effector T Cells: TH17, TH1 and TH2. [7]"
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:55 PM

So I've recently started supplementing vitamin A 10,000 IU every other day. My reasoning for doing such is that I really don't eat much food containing preformed vitamin A or provitamin A. I started on 5/17 so I've now taken 5 softgels. I don't know if this is placebo or not but something just feels different. I feel as though my immune system is stronger. I had a slight sore throat for a couple of weeks prior to starting it. After the second pill it was gone. My dry feet (deficiency symptom) is actually improving. My feet feel a bit more moisturized than usual. Pimple breakouts (deficiency symptom) on my back are drying out and going away.

I have no idea where I'm going with this it's late and I'm tired. I read the following article and thought I'd share it with everyone here. It's by far the best article I've read on vitamin A. I suspect vitamin A deficiency is a lot more common than what's currently being reported. If you start supplementing vitamin A just make sure your vitamin D levels are sufficient.

Anyhow, here's the article....feel free to share your thoughts.

https://www.clinical...-immune-system/

"The gut is where health begins, and is also home to a huge microbiome made of innumerable species of bacteria. Vitamin A is the key to the gut making the right decisions. When you are deficient in vitamin A, you veer towards a type of effector T cell called TH17 and its production of IL-17—inflammation pro-inflammatory cytokine, with propensity to causing autoimmune disease. In contrast, when your stores of vitamin A are sufficient, you’ll have enough peripheral naïve T cells converted to T regulatory cells (Tregs) to help maintain tolerance across the immune system, and quench ‘inappropriate inflammation’ derived from the effector T Cells: TH17, TH1 and TH2. [7]"

Nice glad it’s working for you.

People seem to fall in two camps on VitA, some feel great, others feel truly horrible (I’m in the latter) I can’t touch it without serious side effects.

Remember that you’re taking the preformed variation which can quickly lead to overdose. VitA overdose is not pretty, bad for liver, bad for bones, etc.

I do notice it revs up the immune system as you said though.
  • WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

Link to the Vitamin A product you are using please?

#4 TheCarbonGroup

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:39 PM

How does everyone feel about topical Retin-A?

#5 Rorororo

• Topic Starter
  • 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:58 AM

Link to the Vitamin A product you are using please?

I don't have a brand favorite for vitamin A. I chose Bronson based on their positive reviews and the fact that they manufacture their own products. It seems to be potent but then again I have nothing to compare it to as I have not tried any other brand. Just do a search on Amazon for it.

#6 Rorororo

• Topic Starter
  • 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:02 AM

How does everyone feel about topical Retin-A?

Tried it about 20 years ago. It dries out your skin but it's very effective in getting rid of acne and minor scarring. Use sparingly... a little goes a long way and you'll just end up wasting it if you use too much. A little goes a long way.
  • Informative x 1

#7 Gal220

• 1,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

Cod Liver oil supposedly a really good form of Vitamin A - Link

"Researcher and paediatrician Meg Megson, MD, (4) showed in multiple case studies that cod liver oil directly impacts visual and sensory processing of autistic children. This is due mostly because it is a natural source of cis-form vitamin A. The mechanism reconnects retinoid receptors in the hippocampus which are commonly uncoupled by environmental toxins. Disappearance of side glancing and improved eye contact with parents were some of the first noticeable findings within weeks of supplementation. Increased verbal skills and sociability were also observed, both of which disappeared after the dose wore off."

Megson MN. Is autism a G-alpha protein defect reversible with natural vitamin A? Med Hypotheses. 2000 Jun;54(6):979-83.

#8 Gal220

• 1,036 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 04:17 AM

Another page supporting high dose retinol, at least if you took the suggested liver supplement, you would be getting the implied cofactors needed for it. - Link

One of the cofactors is k2 (scroll down 5 times for k2 source chart)

From Self Hacked

"Vitamin A does compete with vitamin D and K2 and studies show higher vitamin A is associated with lower bone density [15].

Scientists believe the relationship is causal. My own experiments with vitamin A support this, as I find that when I take vitamin A supplements, I have a higher need for K2 supplements (evidenced by gums feeling weak and sensitive and bones feeling less sturdy)."

Maybe high dosae retinol is only advisable with high k2, has to be some explanation for the dosages Weston Price documented(50,000 IU) across so many different cultures.

Edited by Gal220, 16 August 2020 - 04:31 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2022 - 06:12 PM

For human cells to produce ATP, which has a direct effect on energy levels, they need vitamin A in sufficient amounts. Without it, ATP production falls off and energy can rapidly decrease by as much as 30 percent.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users