←  Townhall

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Presentation for the Masses

kevin's Photo kevin 26 Aug 2003

hey ct..
I'm trying to decide on the next direction... probably from here I'll talk about the causes of ageing a bit so that people can get an idea that they really aren't that hard to understand..

I would like to find some movies of ageing themes.. you know.. the 'morphing of a face from old to young' or vice versa.. perhaps some interesting animations.. I'm going to try to have the basic final draft before mid Sept..

JonesGuy's Photo JonesGuy 11 Sep 2003

http://www.msnbc.com...6.asp?0dm=-13JH

A related article.

How's the project going? Have you shown any new people?

kevin's Photo kevin 11 Sep 2003

Thanks for the link... it is quite relevant to the material in the presentation. The project is on hold until I get back from the IABG conference in Cambridge. I'm hoping to get some fresh information that will be some show stopper stuff although I should develop a 'causes of aging' presentation as well.

If you haven't lately and you've got Powepoint, download the latest version and let me know what you think..

Bruce Klein's Photo Bruce Klein 11 Sep 2003

Also, if you haven't already.. here's 30min of Aubrey talking at Transvision 2003 about causes and cure for aging...

Aubrey de Grey Ph.D. "Foreseeable, radical life extension: the biology to inform the philosophy"
http://www.transhuma...ubreydeGrey.mp3

Other TV2003 Talks: http://www.transhuma...03usa/audio.htm

bacopa's Photo bacopa 21 Sep 2003

can i also help out on the project? I'll help out any way I can!

Russ Maughan's Photo Russ Maughan 19 Oct 2003

Tried to read a few replies before I launch into unexplored depths. Too risky with such a profound topic. Flyers I get I usually glance over and save to write grocery lists on or doodle. It's still a logical step forward but I think you can do better. Save your dough for the girls. As milestone breakthroughs arise we must see that that information is safe from getting lost to the fates. And "credit where credit is due?" leave that to the movie stars, who wants to be a seven (or 2) heade tease.

Peace

Russ Maughan's Photo Russ Maughan 19 Oct 2003

Laz, How about a Flash of a 900 year old fella bouncing his first child on his knee, telling a story about a world that saved itself. (Might throw in a cloud thought depiction with Jesus winking)

bacopa's Photo bacopa 17 Jan 2004

As usual I'd be happy to help out in any way

randolfe's Photo randolfe 18 Jan 2004

Laz, How about a Flash of a 900 year old fella bouncing his first child on his knee, telling a story about a world that saved itself. (Might throw in a cloud thought depiction with Jesus winking)

I see we have an infinity synbol with a peace wreath around it as a symbol. I think visual symbolism is something we have not explored.

The quoted description is amusing and challenging. I had thought a picture of the Grim Reaper with a red line through it would be one possible image. That would be self explanatory.

I'd prefer some inspiring imagery Maybe an old man climbing a hill toward the sun and getting younger as he climbs "Mt. Immortal".

Imagery can also lend itself to cartooning. Imagine scientists gathered around a cryo-preserved Jesus asking each other "Why did he choose to be frozen?"

Song is another unexplored realm. Is there any song that could be claimed as a moving tribute to the concept of immortality? If not, we should try to create one. Look at what songs like "Onward Christian Soldiers" and "When the Saints Go Marching In" have done for religious movements. We need a "Pete Seeger" for the Immortalist movement.