←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Phosphatidylserine

GoodFellas's Photo GoodFellas 04 Apr 2009

Any info on phosphatidylserine? I've heard it's great for foucs.

Guacamolium's Photo Guacamolium 05 Apr 2009

I've never noticed any CE'ing effects from it, and I've taken 1.1 grams per dose for cortisol blockage. It should influence cell membrane elasticity though due to its structure, as I recall.

Lufega's Photo Lufega 06 Apr 2009

It's works very well for focus. HOwever, you need a high dose 2 or 3 times per day. It's great if it's the only supplement you use, by the way, it works best if used with fish oil. But for some of us that have complex regimens, it's not very cost effective.

spaceistheplace's Photo spaceistheplace 06 Apr 2009

Animal derived PS is effective. Soy derived is probably not. I can dig up the study if you want.

ingscnixsi's Photo ingscnixsi 06 Apr 2009

Animal derived PS is effective. Soy derived is probably not. I can dig up the study if you want.

Where would you get PS from a cow brain other than smashing a cows head open and endulging in the sweet sweet juices inside?

kilgoretrout's Photo kilgoretrout 07 Apr 2009

Maybe. Maybe not.

But it is bad for the immune system... avoid if you have any sort of chronic viral disease... like Hep C, HIV, or ever Warts! (A very bad persistent case of which went away after I stopped using PS and some other steps).

Basically: IT DOWNGRADES THE PRESENTATION OF FOREIGN ANTIGEN BY INFECTED CELLS TO THE IMMUNE SYSTEM!!!!

Now, this is a CRUCIAL aspect to how the immune system works, and when I read this known fact about PS, I was really upset and stopped using it.

On http://en.wikipedia....sphatidylserine it is mentioned that:

Phosphatidylserine has been shown to reduce specific immune response in mice. [9][10]

9. Hoffmann PR, Kench JA, Vondracek A, et al (February 2005). "Interaction between phosphatidylserine and the phosphatidylserine receptor inhibits immune responses in vivo". J. Immunol. 174 (3): 1393–404. PMID 15661897. http://www.jimmunol....p;pmid=15661897.

10. Carr DJ, Guarcello V, Blalock JE (September 1992). "Phosphatidylserine suppresses antigen-specific IgM production by mice orally administered sheep red blood cells". Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 200 (4): 548–54. PMID 1508948.
Edited by kilgoretrout, 07 April 2009 - 12:36 AM.

Lufega's Photo Lufega 08 Apr 2009

kilgoretrout,

Thanks for that info.! My doctor already suspects I have some kind of immune deficiency and here I am using PS and making things worse!!! Bahh!

tunt01's Photo tunt01 08 Apr 2009

hmmm I bought some PS. I have a low-grade inflammation/immune issue. I can't tell the difference cuz I'm pounding so many gd nutraceuticals it's impossible to know what is doing what anymore...

kilgoretrout's Photo kilgoretrout 20 Apr 2009

hmmm I bought some PS. I have a low-grade inflammation/immune issue. I can't tell the difference cuz I'm pounding so many gd nutraceuticals it's impossible to know what is doing what anymore...

I know what you mean. This effect may not apply to humans, but I do not see why not... sounds like a pretty common and basic immune system component... In the end I just could not get past this study title and had to quit using it:

"Interaction between phosphatidylserine and the phosphatidylserine receptor inhibits immune responses in vivo"

YIKES!!!