• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

* * * * * 1 votes

Methuselah Prize - You Decide

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Prize Structure Would You Rather See Promoted? (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Prize Structure Would You Rather See Promoted?

1. Only Postponement Prize - Embryonic Genetic Interventions (Same Intervention Cannot be Performed in Humans) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Only Reversal Prize - Adult Animal Genetic Interventions (Same Intervention Can be Performed in Humans) (31 votes [56.36%])

Percentage of vote: 56.36%

3. Both Prizes (24 votes [43.64%])

Percentage of vote: 43.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Lurker

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:38 AM

Lightowl,

You have misunderstood what I meant by issue. Another way of saying that your loyalty to the MF is not an issue is that it cannot be disputed - not that it is irrelevant. Never mind. We are clearly both passionate in our intention of ensuring that a solution to the aging problem is found but we are approaching it from different perspectives.

You mention that if you were convinced that the knowledge was available today you would back the RP. Seeing as you believe it isn't, what, in your opinion, is the most promising research direction - nanotechnology?

Why do we need to wait for nanotechnology when we can today manipulate the genome using other tools?

More importantly, do we have the right to forestall the progress of moving from lab discovery to bedside treatment?

Who is willing to be accountable for the lives lost?

As Aubrey de Grey has stated many times, "scientists do not think like engineers" , in other words when they conduct research they do in the most part for the purpose of finding things out rather with a plan in mind to solve a greater problem. Conversely, he has also stated that engineers underestimate the complexity of biological systems. We need to be solutions focused. We need to work towards extracting from the existing knowledge base solutions for treatment - today.

#32 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:12 PM

Prometheus,

You are right, we are approaching it from different perspectives. It is true that researchers and engineers have different ways of thinking. But I do not think that should be an immediate concern for the MF. How the solution is discovered or created should be in the hands of the researchers and the engineers. In my view, the main objective for the MF is to promote public interest, not to fund research and development projects. Although promotion should be the objective today, the MF should always be open to changing focus at any time if it sees fit.

We should not wait for any technology to be available before promoting and doing research and development into longevity. But neither should we limit the boundaries of research. The way I se it is, we are not the ones forestalling progress. We are the ones doing something about it, albeit in different ways, and that is a good thing. As to who is willing to be accountable for the lives lost? I think society is to blame. Every single person on earth is to blame. I think, we who try to make a difference is at the end of that line, not in the front. Also, I think it is to early to begin casting out blame. We should rather cast out fame to the people ( like you ) who are willing to do the difficult research.

I am an engineer, and as such, I would love to contribute to the development of the tools that will one day rid us of this awful destiny. But sadly I am preoccupied in making a living. If we succeed in opening the minds of the world, I might be able to earn a living working in my field of passion. Until then, I must fight for my right to live as long as I desire. By helping the MF I feel I am doing the best I can.

• Lurker

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:58 PM

Quite right. As you said, the main objective for the MF is to promote public interest, not to fund research and development projects.

That's how I see it is presented. On the other hand, Aubrey de Grey sees the main objective as, "to accelerate progress towards real longevity-enhancing medicine" using PR and financial incentives as the drivers. See this post..

Please explain how is it that you have arrived at your conclusion as to what the objective is.

Further on the blame game:

You say, Every single person on earth is to blame. Do you think every single person in the world is even remotely aware of the proximity of real life extension? No they are not. Mens rea. And thus they cannot possibly be held accountable. On the other hand, we do know know of the proximity. We are culpable by not doing enough. If you remain unconvinced as to the maturity of the science I suggest you update your knowledge by searching the net using the terms associated with the voting choices in the new poll on which type ot technology should anti-aging treatments be based on?.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:17 AM

As I stated, it is my view that the main objective for the MF is to promote public interest, not to fund research and development projects.

lightowl: As to who is willing to be accountable for the lives lost? I think society is to blame. Every single person on earth is to blame. I think, we who try to make a difference is at the end of that line, not in the front.

I humbly retract the above statement. It was made not to place any blame on any specific group. I think it is counterproductive and unfair to deal out blame. Also, I think it is unfair to push volunteers in the fight against aging with the threat of blame.

Edited by lightowl, 22 July 2004 - 02:39 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:52 AM

Looking at the poll so far we can draw the following conclusions:

1. Not many people have voted - which means either they are not interested in voting or in the prize.

2. Of those that voted - 2 to 1 want to see a prize only for research that leads directly to human interventions.

I suspect that (1) can be remedied by putting considerably more effort into marketing the prize and the most resource effective way to do that is to make the site more interesting and relevant to visitors. I suggest that the volunteer base be oriented towards a plan of site enhancement.

I am still convinced that the average person, if the concept and implications of the prize and its structure and fully explained and understood, will vote for focusing towards interventions that lead directly to human interventions.

#36 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

I to am discouraged by the low voting frequency in this poll, and I agree with you. We should push for more publicity and interest. Especially from within the midst of our fellow immortalists.

The website is currently undergoing a major redesign. We are trying to reach $½ MILLION in cash and pledges. That should help boost publicity significantly. I urge everyone to Join TheThreeHundred to help us reach that goal. We only need 4 more members.

I think maybe more votes will come as time goes. Until then, lets do our best to get the basic notion of the prize promoted throughout the mainstream media. This is, among other things, an effort to fight the death-meme and spread the word that death is not inevitable.

Join TheThreeHundred and fight the grim reaper himself.

#37 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:51 AM

I'm joining this discussion late, and perhaps have already missed the boat, so to speak.

Prometheus, I will start by admitting that I am not a biologist. But I hope that you will not take that fact and automatically dismiss my opinions out of hand. That's not to say that I believe I'm right on all points. I welcome correction, especially from biologists, as I'm still learning.

I have say that I'm impressed by your conviction to support somatic gene therapies and only somatic gene therapies, and damn the rest of the research.

But I think you are overconfident that somatic gene therapy is the only method that can be achieved in a 15 year time frame. First of all, there are other techniques which, though perhaps not as effective, will be available sooner than 15 years. Drugs, stem cell therapies, etc. While I'm on the subject of drugs, you have made clear that you think that only somatic gene therapies will be relavant to changing the genetics of aging. But Metformin has been shown to actually change the gene expression profiles of something like 60 or 70 different genes. It's primitive now, but that such drugs exist only shows that we cannot discount the possibility of near-term pharmaceutical solutions being as effective or more effective that what somatic gene therapies can accomplish in the same time frame. I foresee drug cocktails that target hundreds of genes, more than CR alone can even accomplish. And this can be achieved much sooner using gene microarrays to figure out which chemicals to use.

Second, I think your 15 year estimate on somatic gene therapies being available for humans is much too aggressive. First of all, this presupposes that we'll have figured out exactly which genes to modify, and HOW (because I think it will be a combination of dozens of genes, and it will be more complex than just turning them on or off). Second, this also presupposes that techniques applicable in mice will automatically apply in humans.

Unfortunately, recent research has indicated that although aging may look superficially the same in varied species, the exact mechanisms that the gene profiles are designed to attack can be different. An obvious example is that flies and yeast don't get cancer.

As a specific genetic example, differences in how the Sir2 protein in yeast affects other protein levels, and how Sirt1 in mice affects a wider range of protein profiles (some for similar, some for dissimilar reasons), is enough to convince me that there are going to be aging mechanisms in mice that don't translate to the human genome. This translates into the following interesting scenario: in shorter lived species, apoptosis and cell replacement seems to be favored during stresses such as CR. In longer lived species, this approach would put undue stress on stem cell lines, so apoptosis is downregulated and DNA repair is upregulated in the same situations. I expect many such differences to exist between humans and mice.

I realize that you are passionate about somatic gene therapy, but if you know someone who has only 15 years left, somatic gene therapy is only going to save them if it's a gene profile that would promote near infinite life. Assuming the therapy is available in 15 years, when this person has only a couple years left, or may already be in their deathbed, there's not much that it can do to save them. There's too much damage accumulated already. If they've only got 15 years left today, preventing cancer, CHD, CVD, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's seem to be the most important needs they have, and somatic gene therapy isn't (currently) their best bet. Their best bet is better cancer treatments, and a reduction in the hurdles to stem cell research. In which case you should be pushing those rather than arguing the merits of PP versus RP. Remember, as Dr. de Grey has pointed out, it's all about actuarial escape velocity. Stem cell therapies will probably buy us 10-50 years of extra life, depending on how much they can actually fix. If your friend(s) with 15 years left received such therapies, that 15 years might turn into 25 or 30 years, or more. That would buy us more time to research somatic therapies.

And as Dr. de Grey pointed out, germline genetic alterations allow us to whittle down what really works and what doesn't, so that somatic therapies, which I can only assume are more difficult, can proceed with an appropriate subset of genes to test. This means that, at least for the next 5-10 years (a timeframe we cannot accurately guess yet), the PP is probably more important that the RP.

If I'm wrong that somatic gene therapy is harder than germline modifications, please let me know. I mean harder from a technical standpoint, as well as financial, as well as whatever else may be preventing this research from being pursued today (patents?).

If your interest in this is not personal (i.e. a dear friend who has 10-15 years left), then you should be willing to think outside the box. Aging is very complex. We understand it very little. Yet there is much evidence that aging is more than just evolution's disregard for organisms once they have reproduced. There is strong evidence that multiple aspects of aging are tied to preventing cancer.

Sure, we could cure cancer and then turn off the senescence-causing genes that were there to protect against cancer. But I'm sure that cancer wasn't the only concern when aging was "designed" into our genome. I don't think we can assume at this point that genetic therapies, not even germline therapies, will be sufficient to push the human lifespan beyond 200 years. It might happen, but it's not a given.

I truly believe that the only way we are going to get past 200 years is with nanomedicine. That's the long term solution, 25 to 60 years from now. Gene therapies are the mid-term solution, 15-40 years from now. Stem cells are the short term solution, 10-20 years from now. And I suppose a healthy lifestyle (exercise, nutrition), CR, and drugs like Metformin, if they are as effective in humans as in mice, are the very short term solution.

With each next step, we get progressive benefits. Just guesses on the numbers here, but 10%, 25%, 50%, 1000%. I stayed conservative (50%) on gene therapies, because by the time we have enough knowledge to push it to 100% or more, nanomedicine will have taken over.

Anyway, enough ramblings from me. I am not in a financial situation to donate to the MMP at this time anyway (other than maybe 20 bucks, but since I plan to join the 300 within the next year, I'll just wait). However, once I do donate, I'll probably put my money in the PP for the first two or three years, then move it all to the RP after that.

Jay Fox

• Lurker

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:34 AM

Jaydfox thanks for taking the time to compose your post, and no - I'm not an anti-non-biologist, on the contrary, I welcome the input provided by people from diverse fields who have not been so paralytically indoctrinated that they can no longer think outside of their comfort zone. :)

Now on to your excellent points:

1. drugs versus gene manipulation: this is a classic starting argument - why are we rummaging in the dark to find methods to manipulate genes that we are also rummaging in the dark to discover when we can just use drugs? Hey, lets unleash the worlds best supercomputers, lets derive every different possible molecular permutation and throw it against cell cultures until something works - right?

Not quite. The way to a cell's heart :) via drugs is through its receptors (which is how your example of Metformin, which i'll get to next, works - via the insulin receptor). Now as you well might appreciate different cell express different receptor types, different numbers of receptor types and have different transaction systems connecting receptor to site of intracellular action. Thus one drug can have multiple effects based on the cell type. This is why pharmaceutical companies now having realized that not only do their drugs have different effects on different cells - they also have different effects on different people due to single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) variation within populations.

Using a drug is a very crude method of controlling gene expression - sort of like standing on the other side of the room from your PC and aiming a tennis ball to your keyboard in the hope of writing your thesis - you may hit the space button a few times but you wont be typing anything. The message here is that the degree of fine control you need in regulating complex genetic systems can only come about by working at that level of complexity. And that incidentally is fine - we have pretty good control already.

2. Metformin - the wonder drug - maybe. Yes, this drug modulates the insulin receptor function by activating the PI-3 kinase pathway which has interesting downstream effects including DNA repair, but in some people it can also cause lactic acidosis which can cause death. The PI-3 activation function is a very indirect way of simulating some of the effects of caloric restriction. But we are dealing with those furry yellow things (tennis balls) again. Precise targeting intervention for precise results.

3. overaggressive estimates - Hey! I heard of a couple of bicycle makers who managed to build the unthinkable - a flying machine - because of their "aggressive" approach. We sent men to the moon with only pocket calculators! Thank heaven for aggressive estimates. Enough said.

4. differences of gene function across species - you're right. Thats why we work through mammals as models organisms - and when in doubt work up the evolutionary tree - mice, rabbits, dogs, me, primates, humans. But why worry about Sir 1? Look downstream man! What are the teleological effects of Sir1? DNA repair. What is the number one cause of cell aging - DNA damage. What is the number on cause of cancer - DNA damage. What is the number one cause of apoptosis - DNA damage. Why are we even thinking about Sir1?

5. actuarial escape velocity - I'm all for it. Without doubt the steps towards increasing life extension are going to be tortuously incremental. We do all we can with what we have in our disposal at present - including strategic and optimal allocation of resources towards making real advances in research rather than time wasting exercises. We can either conduct research and see how often we can get our names on journals or find explore real strategies for intervention that will lead to practical theapies. Unfortunately the two are not compatible.

6. germline genetic alterations allow us to whittle down what really works and what doesn't - yes indeed they do. Why on earth we would use a mouse with a lifespan of 3 - 5 years, however, to do germline interventions is beyond my capacity to understand. Use drosophila (fruit flies) instead - with a lifespan of only weeks instead of years for germline investigations and having proved efficacy then run the methodology of delivery in parallel with efficacy in mice. Seems totally logical to me. Let me know if you don't agree with this because it lies at the heart of the matter.

:)

#39 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:05 AM

Prometheus, thank you for your excellent reply. I see there is some room here for agreement. I'll reply to your points.

1. "Using a drug is a very crude method of controlling gene expression". I agree. I would rather see it done directly. However, I pointed out drugs for three reasons.

First of all, until just a few years ago, few non-biologists, and I'd wager some biologists, didn't anticipate that drugs could alter gene expression profiles at all. I certainly didn't. I'm not a biologist, but I'm not totally in the dark either.

Secondly, while drugs may be crude and less effective, they can be made available more quickly than gene therapies.

Third, if we alter the gene expression profile with a drug or drug cocktail, and then decide the changes aren't what we wanted, we can back off the drugs (cold turkey or in steps) and let the gene profile return to normal. This is of course not as big a concern in mice, since we can always get more mice. But in human studies, it will be much easier to do short-term drug tests, than to do gene therapies in the hopes that they'll work. However, I do know that mRNA can deliver short term gene therapy benefits without the long term consequences. Perhaps this obviates my safety concerns? Are there effective mRNA delivery techniques? If so, how often do they have to be repeated? Daily? Every four hours? Would it be worth it, even for a small study of a few dozen individuals?

2. "...but in some people it can also cause lactic acidosis which can cause death." Note to self! I wasn't aware of that. And I agree that targetting DNA repair directly is the end target. I was simply inferring that pharmacological methods, however crude, will get us there sooner.

3. While I agree that overaggressive estimates have a long history of success, they also have a long history of failure. Flying cars are still decades behind schedule, as is private space flight. Of course, I suppose that in both those cases, the cause wasn't lack of feasibility, but rather lack of investment. So I suppose this is a mixed bag. However, I think limiting techniques (what we're polling, right?) based on an overaggressive estimate is a bad idea. The last five years have seen a paradigm shift in how we view the genome. The majority concensus was that genes were what mattered. However, that view has shifted to protein expression rates and interactions. Even our view of introns versus exons (sp?) has changed. With increased processor power, I think bioinformatics and proteomics (and the other "-omics") may cause another paradigm shift in the next five to ten years. Progress is just too fast for us to exclude any techniques.

Besides, scientists who enter the competition are free to choose whatever technique they want. They shouldn't have it dictated by the Foundation. If somatic gene therapies are the answer, the results will show that. Let the proof be in the pudding, so to speak.

4. Sir1. I brought it up only to show that gene therapies across species may not be the same. I wasn't picking it as a target of intervention (though it is indirectly related).

5. Amen.

6. I'll start by saying that I'm not against the fruit fly approach. However, allow my to think aloud about this topic.

I don't oppose the use of fruit flies. While I have my reservations due to cross-species techniques, the information will still be useful. Especially if run in tandem with mouse (and other species) experiments. This would allow us to not only target genes faster, but we can compare results.

However, I'm wondering if there are species we can use with shorter lifespans than mice, but that still get cancer. It is my opinion (based loosely on studies I've read) that cancer is intertwined with aging in humans. Extending the lifespan of a species that doesn't get cancer won't convince me.

Of course, I'm not the general public. And that's who we're trying to convince with this prize, right? But I think that the general public will be far less moved to action if we can make flies live 10 or 20 times longer than normal, because, let's face it, they're flies. They're not cute or furry. They're not mammals. Whatever the scientists might say to try to convince them that the results are relavant, I doubt it will work.

So from a research perspective, I agree that fruit flies could be useful. From a PR standpoint, I don't foresee this being beneficial, especially if it pulls resources away from the Mouse Prize. And given how small the prize is at the moment, I don't think we could afford to pull away more resources (the same could be said about the Postponement prize, so I am shooting myself in the foot with this argument, but...).

On the other hand, if there were a variety of well-funded prizes for various species, it would lend more credibility to the Foundation. Fly, Mouse, etc. I'm conflicted on how long-lived of species we should be concerned with, given the urgency of the research.

I have much more to say, but I suppose I've made my point. I don't think we should exclude techniques from the Reversal Prize, so long as they "play fair" about when treatments begin. For example, I don't think CR should be used from weaning, and then somatic gene therapies at age 2.5 years, with the claim that intervention (the somatic gene therapy) wasn't begun until 2.5 years. I'm not sure if the rules are explicit enough about this (I haven't read them in over a month, so I could be wrong).

Jay Fox

• Lurker

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:49 PM

Jaydfox,

FYI: Stable expression of protein can be achieved for months at a time using a plasmid. Otherwise you can even inject naked DNA directly into tissue - that's the shortest acting solution - 18 to 32 hours half life.

Alert: What makes you think you can't induce cancer in flies? Simplest way is just to knock out a tumor suppressor gene and they develop beautiful large tumors in various tissues with all the classic neoplastic characteristics. They die from it too.

My friend, from a research perspective, flies are the ONLY logical approach to rapidly determine efficacy. You can run multiple investigations for very low cost and you have no hassles with animal welfare groups either. Mice should be left for fine tuning. Why on earth would anyone want to wait for 5+ years to evaluate efficacy? It's inane.

I'm still waiting for you to make your case on why anyone in their right mind would choose this line of investigation outside of PR benefits.

• Lurker

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:27 AM

One of the realizations that I have come to concerning the underlying cause why non-scientists are so confused about the difference in the PP versus the RP is a fundamental lack of information on the science and the scientific merit between the two types of study. This is a serious omission on the part of the MF organizers and has yet to be rectified (an additional page on the MMP could easily explain things). Consequently, the process of debate becomes bogged down by the need to repeatedly explain fundamental scientific principles which MF activists are not educated in. Alarmingly, in all of this confusion what should be the prime objective - to deliver an intervention that slows down aging as rapidly as possible - becomes lost.

One of the issues that has cropped up is the merit of using flies as an alternative to mice. There are many advantages to the use of flies in studying fundamental biological processes and I am sure that Aubrey, who also happens to be employed by the FlyBase project (a database of genetic and molecular data for Drosophila) will surely attest.

Note that when comparing suitability for investigative platform many factors must be used, but if we incorporate the following:

1. speed of discovery - how quick we can generate data on various life span modifiers
2. relevance to human aging mechanisms - aging mechanisms are conserved across a vast number of organisms - including drosophila. The main theme has to do with alterations in DNA integrity over anything else.

The fly wins hands down. It is only when the suitable life span modifier *has been determined* that studies should be ramped up for fine tuning in mice.

What follows is a summary of the differences between using drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly) and mus musculus (mouse) as model organisms for investigating possible interventions for human lifespan extension using germline interventions.

(the following should really be tabled)

number of genes - drosophila=14,000, mus=40,000 (humans have 30,000)
% similarity to human - drosophila 90%, mus=98% (higher is better)
lifespan - drosophila=40 days, mus=3 years (lower is better)
screening per generation - drosophila= >100,000, mus=100 (higher is better)
cost of maintenance - drosophila=very low, mus=high (lower is better)
difficulty in generating transformants - drospohila=low, mus=high (lower is better)

One further note on education to all those MF activists: ask the support of the MF to invest a page or two on the website for this type of material so that you can know what you are talking about - you're worth it.

#42 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:00 AM

Thank you for that information, Prometheus. I knew some of the basics, in a ballpark sort of way. Fewer genes, significantly shorter lifespan, less maintenance, etc. But I didn't know the specific numbers, and seeing it tabulated really does make a good case for fly research.

BTW, could you elaborate on "difficulty in generating transformants" for us non-scientists? I assume it has to do with the lower number of genes, but mentioning it twice seems dubious. My other thought is that it has to do with the ease of manipulating the eggs without reducing their viability. Perhaps you meant something else?

As for the prizes, I don't want to see the Mouse prize go, because from a PR perspective it's just too valuable. However, I would support the creation of a Fly prize, and I would be willing to abandon the postponement prize for the Fly prize. After all, the PP's main merits are: 1) quicker realization of the goals than RP, and 2) sooner and more frequent awarding of the prize, for PR value.

However, a Fly Prize would have both these benefits, only better. Quicker realization of the goals, and probably much more frequent awarding of the prize. Given the goal of speed, I would still support the Fly prize being of the Postponement type (germline).

Alas, if funding the prize weren't such an issue, then I'd prefer to see all three prizes (Fly, Mouse PP, Mouse RP). Perhaps, if we created the Fly category and explained it well, we'd see a preferential bias towards the Fly prize, much like the current situation, where the RP is funded about three times better than the PP.

Anyway, this is my opinion as a non-scientist, given the case Prometheus has presented. I would like to see what others think, perhaps even others from the Methuselah Foundation. And since I haven't donated yet (real soon, I hope), I realize my vote doesn't count for much.

BTW, while I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if we had met any common ground on whether to keep the "reversal" prize open to any and all late onset techniques. Assuming we stipulate basic things like no sleeper genes inserted germline, and no basic treatments left unmentioned like CR used to skew the results, then would you be willing to leave all avenues open, and let the scientists involve decide how they want to proceed?

Jay Fox

#43 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:09 AM

In the spirit of prize development and perfection, here are some words of wisdom from X-Prize founder, Peter Diamandis.

http://www.xprize.or...isTestimony.doc

• Lurker

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:45 AM

Hi Lightowl, perhaps you care to illuminate me on the relevant parallels between the X-prize and the MMP?

Jaydfox, cloning new genes in drosophila can be done quite easily by making use of transposon mechanisms (by easy I mean once you have cloned your new gene and the reporting mechanism that you detect it by, screening for the embryos that have taken up the new gene is effortless compared to mice embryos). It requires micro-injecting drosophila embryos with a plasmid with the gene to be cloned with a P element that will facilitate the mechanism of transposition.

Cloning new genes in mice requires the isolation of mouse embryonic stem cells from an early embryo, micro-injection of genes in the form of plasmid or linear DNA to enable the mouse nucleus to take up the new DNA. One difficulty is that the location of new DNA is not always predictable and can interfere with unrelated genes. Following micro-injection the ES cell is is palce back in the embryo and the embryo is placed back in the mother. The resulting embryo is chimaera comprising of both transfected and non-transfected cells. Once the mouse has grown to adulthood if it is allowed to breed some of its offspring will be composed of completely transfected cells.

The mouse procedure is far more difficult and resource intensive.

You say, I don't want to see the Mouse prize go, because from a PR perspective it's just too valuable Sure. That's all it is - PR - hype - minimal ROI in terms of scientific data if time is of the essence.

You say. the PP's main merits are: 1) quicker realization of the goals than RP, and 2) sooner and more frequent awarding of the prize, for PR value. Huh? What goals are you talking about? PR goals or scientific goals? Using interventions on adult mice is the quickest way to get results a.k.a. RP

Here's your whopper!

let the scientists involve decide how they want to proceed

Hah! We have let the "scientists" decide for far too long. I am a trained scientist but I choose to make my living elsewhere. The scientists are not making decisions - those from whom they obtain funding are! The scientists apply for grants, knowing that they have to meet with the ideological, political, cultural, legal and whatever else other constraints are imposed by the committees that make the funding decisions. Senior researchers are far more concerned with how many times their name will be cited (most times thanks to the least mentioned hard work of some poor doctoral clod) rather than following in the ethos of the pioneering efforts that brought us to where we are. Working in the private sector makes life infinitely simpler - IP is the prime factor - if you can patent it it's got "legs" - if not - next please - either case very little gets published.

The magnificent, yet totally ignored opportunity of the MMP is that the direction of research can be influenced by factors other than the traditional interests of the academic and private sector - with the prime agenda being research directed at delivering human aging interventions.

#45 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:15 AM

Hi Lightowl, perhaps you care to illuminate me on the relevant parallels between the X-prize and the MMP?

Sure thing,

Generally prizes has been offered to spark the public imagination. To show the public that things thought of as impossible or far fetched are indeed within reach if pursued with passion. If you read the Diamandis' testimony closely, you will notice that he makes some statements about prizes in general that most likely will apply in the case of the MMP to.

The fact that the x-prize has been so successful is one of the reasons why the MMP was conceived in the first place. It is important to learn from past efforts to be successful, even though the MMP project might seem grand in comparison, it builds on the same principles for final success. I think it is important to note, that this prize will not result directly in widely available life extension methods. It is primarily an effort to make a proof of concept that will eventually result in immense investments throughout the commercial environment.

PR is very important at this stage, and will continue to be important in the future. We want people to talk about the possibilities of extended healthy lifespans in the sectors of business that is going to make it happen for real for everybody. Just like the private space-industry is seeing that it really is possible to send people to space with limited resources. Even nasa is starting to use the prize concept to promote innovations and breakthroughs.

It is very possible that interventions thought out by contestants of the prize will not be used in commercial products or by the governments. If a very effective intervention is created, it will probably be used as a base for further study. That will effectively kickstart commercial interest and our work would be done by then. :)

• Lurker

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:21 AM

Thanks. Well put.

#47 thethird

• 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:23 AM

Have any comments been made by research scientists (active in the field)?

Would be good to hear their opinion too.

• Lurker

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:59 AM

I would say outside of Dr. Aubrey de Grey who is more of a theoretical biologist specializing in biogerontology, no.

#49 thethird

• 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:13 AM

Not that I am questioning your scientific credentials Prometheus - you know what you are talking about - or those of Dr de Grey, but why is that no other scientists have participated in this discussion? It seems a pity that you can't recruit more scientists to your cause. After all, it is they that will be doing the research!

#50 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:32 AM

Here is the list of those competing and intending to compete for the prize.
http://www.methusela...competitors.php

I agree. It would be nice to have some more scientists contributing to this discussion. I guess either they don't know about this discussion, or they are more interested in doing the research than discussing the prize structure.

• Lurker

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:36 AM

Hmmm... Lightowl, are you saying that the investigative scientists are not concerned about what the general public thinks about their research? That's very controversial!

Thethird, you have gathered correctly that I am not an active researcher. But I am actively involved in the acquisition and development of IP assets related to biotechnology. You have also hit the nail on the head - we do not get enough scientific participation. We do have some very smart people on this board, however, who devote a lot of their personal time to thinking and researching using the net. Thanks to their advocacy the message of scientific life extension enhancement is being promulgated.

#52 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:52 AM

Hmmm... Lightowl, are you saying that the investigative scientists are not concerned about what the general public thinks about their research?

I definitely think they are interested in what the general public thinks about their research. I am merely suggesting that they might have other channels to discuss these matters, and the MMP might not be one of the main talking points yet when the subject is being discussed with the general public. After all, the MMP is still very young. I am not suggesting that we should not discuss the MMP at these forums, by all means. I am only guessing as to why more researchers has not contributed to this debate at this time in this forum.

• Lurker

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:02 AM

Since you initiated the topic on researchers for the mouse prize, Lightowl, lets have a look at what's cooking:

There are 2 competitors who are listed at the MMP website. They are:

Competitor 1: Dr Sell and his mice with the partially defective IGF-1.

Scientific backgrounder: according to the MF website the mice carry a partially defective IGF-1 gene. Partially because only one of the genes is mutated, resulting in a decrease of IGF-1. IGF-1 is the post-cursor to growth hormone and is associated with mediating the actions of growth factor. It acts on the cell by the IGF receptor. Deficiencies in IGF result in dwarfism. Research has previously shown that dwarf mice deficient in growth hormone have extended life spans by up to 50%. By reducing IGF Dr Sell's dwarf mice are similarly expected to have an extended lifespan.

Problem: Human dwarves have similarly reduced growth hormone and IGF levels. They, however, do not experience any extended lifespan - instead they are deformed. A race of very short beings with extended lifespans have been postulated to exist - it could be a joke.

Relevance: The IGF receptor (not the circulating IGF protein) is able to transduce some very interesting messages to the cell such as regulating DNA repair via the FOXO3 transcription factor and via the Akt tumor suppressor. We know that IGF plasma levels drop and IGF sensitivity diminishes in the aged.

Conclusion: this is pure research on the effect of changed IGF levels in mice. There is no direct pathway in transcribing this research to a treatment in humans.

Competitor 2: Dr. Moheno and his mice fed with the anti-cancer calcium pterin supplement

Scientific backgrounder: Calcium pterin has been shown to have a tumoricidal effect by an immune mediated mechanism (mice with their immune system knocked out have no benefit from it).

Problem: Seeing as the tumoricidal effect is mediated by the immune system it would not be acting in the DNA repair pathway so the effects may not have relevance to lifespan extension.

Relevance: If you can extend lifespan by preventing death from cancer it is very relevant even if it does not extend average lifespan.

Conclusion: interesting to see if any lifespan extension occurs by this strategy, though I strongly suspect not. Even so a very promising anti cancer drug if the reports are anything to go by.

There you have it folks. :)

(go for it lightowl!)

#54 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:41 PM

go for it lightowl!

I don't se what it is I have to go for. It is not my role to defend validity of any contestants attempt to win the prize. If they win on those grounds, well, great. It will be that much harder for the next contestant to push the limit and take the prize.

I think it is important to remember that this prize will be around for many years to come. It is still very young. Contestants are important when having a prize, so better to have contestants with limited chance of great success than no contestants at all.

#55 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:05 AM

Hi prometheus et al.

FYI..

Phil Moheno has pulled out of the competition. He is pursuing research with CalPterin via other avenues.

The Foundation has since obtained the participation of Leonard Guarente of MIT who we imagine will be using his research with Sir2 to simulate caloric restricted mice affecting fat metabolism and a whole host of other metabolic processes.

#56 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:38 AM

Prometheus,

I have much I want to say, but I've become so focused on the details of our conversation that I'm starting to lose sight of the bigger picture. I'll be taking a while to reread this topic and others from start to finish, to try to get my bearings back.

In the meantime, however, I must admit I'm intrigued by the prospect of creating a Fly prize category, whether in place of the Postponement Prize or in addition to it. Given that time is critical, and progress on the mouse prizes, at least for new participants, will take at least five years, it does make sense to do something that moves more quickly.

However, I do have one burning question. How would we validate it? Although I would hope that researchers are honest, the MMP has a "failsafe" built in, the aspartate racimation (I know I probably butchered the spelling).

Is there a similar hope for legitimately quantifying chronological age in flies, regardless of the actual rate of physiological age?

Jay Fox

• Lurker

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:51 AM

You would not even need to validate it in the conventional sense, Jay. Seeing as the flies are so short lived what better way to validate their age than to send a bunch over to the team at MF and to any other interested scientists and let them see for themselves! Imagine the thrill of seeing each additional day that passes and the flies being still alive! Furthermore, competing scientists would be encouraged to provide a daily reporting of what the status of their enhanced flies is. Imagine the competition in labs all over the world who all of a sudden can now compete because of a model organism that is so much more accessible and cost effective than the mouse.

Why don't do the honors JF, how about a Methuselah Fly poll.

Kevin, I was disappointed to see that Moheno is no longer involved. His supplement is an ideal candidate for RP at least in ensuring that the animal stays as cancer free as possible without any adverse side effects.

So can you clarify who the present contestants in the prize are? If you have the time also let us know who is looking to enter in the near future and what the strategy of intervention is (MF should have this info on the site).

#58 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:03 AM

I do agree that sending the flies to other labs, or to the MF itself, would allow easy validation. For research in the public sector, this should pose no problem.

However, for those in the private sector, or at least those with private funding, who want to participate without risking losing control over their "IP", do you see this as a potential roadblock to their willingness to enter the competition (honest question, I don't know the answer.)?

At any rate, I will go ahead and attempt to create a poll for a Fly prize. I will keep it simple, with few options, and leave it up to the community to explain their positions. If it is well received, we could further refine it with more polls.

The question of whether or not there will be a Methuselah Fly prize is tied to whether or not the [Mouse] Postponement Prize is kept. (I'm not saying that they both can't be kept.) It seems that this poll is (currently) tied on whether to drop the prize or keep it, with no one voting to drop the Reversal Prize. However, there were only 22 votes so far. I'm not sure how many "active" members there are here who may not have voted. I'm also curious about how many of the ones who did vote are current donors to the MMP, or have other ties to the Methuselah Foundation. I should disclose that I voted to keep both prizes, but I haven't donated yet, due to lack of funds. I could probably donate $20 or something like that, but I was just going to wait until I'm in a position to join the three hundred.

Jay Fox

#59 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:07 AM

Hi prometheus..

I was disappointed too in regards to Phil Moheno not competing.

We are still in the setting up process with the competitors and that section of the website will take on more substance as we are able. I have only the most cursory idea of what they are proposing to do. Formal proposals are being submitted at this time.

The current competitors can be found at.. http://www.methusela...competitors.php

Richard Cutler - transgenic mouse, added copies of thioredoxin2 mitochondrial antixoxidant

Christiaan Leeuwenburgh - anti-inflammatory agents

Leonard Guarente - manipulation of Sir2

Christian Sell - IGF1 mutant

David Sinclair - resveratrol

Rick Weindruch - undeclared

We have a couple of other possibilities but nothing firm enough to warrant discussing as yet.

• Lurker

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:16 AM

for those in the private sector, or at least those with private funding, who want to participate without risking losing control over their "IP", do you see this as a potential roadblock to their willingness to enter the competition?

Supposing that their investigations had to do with a novel use of a known gene or the discovery of a new gene they could file a priority date for a provisional patent specification prior to the experiment and await for the results to determine whether to invest the funds to get an international patent approval. So in other words, no, it would not interfere with what they are doing, and the moment the provisional specification is notarized they can even describe their approach.

And what more do you want if you're looking for an IPO, venture capital or buyout then to be the winner of the Methuselah Fly Prize?

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users