←  Lifestyle

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Leg-Lengthening to Increase Height

Boondock's Photo Boondock 01 Apr 2010

Hey folks,

I've just come across a couple of websites:

http://www.makemetaller.info/ (General Interest)

http://www.leg-lengt....com/index.html (Specific Clinic)

I'm not a hugely short guy. But I am 5' 9. This sort of procedure could get me to 6 foot in 6 months.

I don't really have the money to do it right now, but I'm thinking it could be a good idea. I'm learning Mandarin anyway, and spending 4 months out in China would actually be a benefit for me.

What do we think? Is this crazy, or no?
Edited by Boondock, 01 April 2010 - 11:53 PM.

rwac's Photo rwac 02 Apr 2010

How old are you ? There might be hormonal ways to do the same thing, if your growth plates are not closed.

Boondock's Photo Boondock 02 Apr 2010

How old are you ? There might be hormonal ways to do the same thing, if your growth plates are not closed.

I'm 23, so that won't be a possibility. Even then, I doubt I'd be short enough to get it prescribed.

It's not really something I'm actively considering right now. I was more looking to see if there were any known and serious drawbacks to the treatment besides cost and duration of procedure.

rwac's Photo rwac 02 Apr 2010

I'm 23, so that won't be a possibility. Even then, I doubt I'd be short enough to get it prescribed.

Actually, certain Aromatase inhibitors might work. Won't even need a prescription.
(Assuming your growth plates are not closed)

Blue's Photo Blue 02 Apr 2010

Major surgery is always dangerous with complications from minor up to death. You will get some weird scars. People also have a good sense for natural body proportions so I will suspect many will feel that something is vaguely "wrong" when looking at you without being able to tell exactly what. Also, I would be careful with surgery in a nation with raw capitalism which has given 1 million of its people HIV in order to save some money on blood transfusions.

VidX's Photo VidX 02 Apr 2010

Well then consider arms lenghtening too lol..
I'd say better get jacked, you'll need less muscle to look "buff", so it's an advantage.

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 02 Apr 2010

Here's something for you to read.

There's actually threads on this topic already on here. About a year ago, I looked into leg lengthening. I have the money to do it and the only thing stopping me is the surgery itself / health risk, and what people would think. Height is something that bothered me a lot last year and I tended to blame all my dating problems on it. But I eventually got over it and found plenty of attractive, intelligent girls who were willing to date a shorter than average guy. Two weeks ago I dated a 6'0" girl and we have already made plans to meetup again after she gets back from vacation. (And she showed up in 2-4" heels in case you are wondering. She absolutely towered over me, but both of us were fine with it...she also had a Ph. D in biochemistry from a top 10 American university so other things mattered more to her than height.) Sure, I would pay $100k to be 3 or 4 inches taller (I'm 5'7") risk free without surgery. I think there's extra confidence and other intangibles one gains with the height advantage. I think there's even some psychological advantage to being taller. The surgery itself is very barbaric and crude. Even the most high-tech version involves putting a metal rod into your bone where you have to click it a few times every day. When you click it, it ratchets longer and pulls your broken bones apart. You have to lengthening a minimum length each day before your bones can mend back together. Some patients who are unable to lengthen by themselves are put under anesthesia while the doctor clicks their legs longer. That really is something that belongs in Guantanamo. And then the rod stays in your legs for a while after surgery...the whole process takes over a year from the first operation to fit the lengthening device until it is removed. But the bone lengthening is not the worst part, it's absolutely brutal on your muscle tissues. So is it really worth giving up a year of your life for that?

Since you are already 5'9" which is average height in most countries...I don't know what you are looking for in life, but I can tell you that most people would consider you a freak for going through such an extremely painful and rare procedure out of vanity. Ever wonder why all these places (with the exception of 1 -- Betz Institute in Germany) are in terrible places not known for treating humans well? I'll tell you right now the surgery will be a major turn-off for most women. Now obviously you don't have to tell anyone, but if they ever find out, I can assure you that they will be surprised. Thing is that no one on that board, not even the admin, ever reveals their real identity and would be ashamed if that information about them somehow went public to everyone. As far as I can tell, the board exists to help the admin justify what he did. I think he enjoys hearing people miserable about their lack of height so that he can feel better about his decision to have surgery.

Anyhow, I think the height issue thing will be solved in about 10-30 years. Growing bones should be a pretty easy thing to do even in adults. I bet there will be some treatment or at least much less brutal surgery that can be done to make people grow teller. And if you think about it, that surgery would only serve to devalue height further. At my age, 27, I think money and intellectual capital will impress people a lot more than height. I really don't see how lack of height can hold someone back in the professional world. Politics and law are the only two areas where that still be true. So if you don't plan to be a courtroom lawyer or run for office, I don't see how it would help you much in your career. Hope that helps. If you do decide to do the surgery, I would stay away from China and do it with Dr. Betz in Germany. Some people as tall as 5'11" have done LL, but at 5'9", I really think it would not benefit you...you would be hiding the surgery for the rest of your life and there are other things you can improve which are limiting you more than height.

Forever21's Photo Forever21 02 Apr 2010

Don't do it.

Don't...do...it.
Edited by Forever21, 02 April 2010 - 04:16 AM.

Logan's Photo Logan 02 Apr 2010

Yeah this is a very bad idea for all the reasons stated above and more. Definitely don't do it.

Boondock's Photo Boondock 02 Apr 2010

Here's something for you to read.

There's actually threads on this topic already on here. About a year ago, I looked into leg lengthening. I have the money to do it and the only thing stopping me is the surgery itself / health risk, and what people would think. Height is something that bothered me a lot last year and I tended to blame all my dating problems on it. But I eventually got over it and found plenty of attractive, intelligent girls who were willing to date a shorter than average guy. Two weeks ago I dated a 6'0" girl and we have already made plans to meetup again after she gets back from vacation. (And she showed up in 2-4" heels in case you are wondering. She absolutely towered over me, but both of us were fine with it...she also had a Ph. D in biochemistry from a top 10 American university so other things mattered more to her than height.) Sure, I would pay $100k to be 3 or 4 inches taller (I'm 5'7") risk free without surgery. I think there's extra confidence and other intangibles one gains with the height advantage. I think there's even some psychological advantage to being taller. The surgery itself is very barbaric and crude. Even the most high-tech version involves putting a metal rod into your bone where you have to click it a few times every day. When you click it, it ratchets longer and pulls your broken bones apart. You have to lengthening a minimum length each day before your bones can mend back together. Some patients who are unable to lengthen by themselves are put under anesthesia while the doctor clicks their legs longer. That really is something that belongs in Guantanamo. And then the rod stays in your legs for a while after surgery...the whole process takes over a year from the first operation to fit the lengthening device until it is removed. But the bone lengthening is not the worst part, it's absolutely brutal on your muscle tissues. So is it really worth giving up a year of your life for that?

This was a great post. I suppose I had a number of misconceptions, owing to a lack of research into the issue. My assumption was that it'd take 4-6 months out of my life, and be a relatively safe procedure (and as stated earlier, spending a few months in China is a plus for me). By the sounds of it, though, it's a much bigger commitment, with potentially a much longer recovery period in terms of muscle and tissue. I'd be potentially willing to spend 4 months loafing around a hospital brushing up on my language skills to be 6 foot, but it sounds like it's not going to be anything like that straightforward.

Many thanks for the heads up.

hypnotoad's Photo hypnotoad 02 Apr 2010

Save your money and buy steroids and shoe lifts - much cheaper than surgery and an inch of fake height and 30lbs of muscle will do wonders for the male ego :|?

Either that or wage war on Europe. Worked for Napoleon :)
Edited by hypnotoad, 02 April 2010 - 10:02 PM.

Skötkonung's Photo Skötkonung 03 Apr 2010

Traveling to some third world nation to get a painful elective procedure seems a bit desperate. I'll save that experience for when I need a black-market organ transplant and my insurance won't cover the cost.

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 03 Apr 2010

Save your money and buy steroids and shoe lifts - much cheaper than surgery and an inch of fake height and 30lbs of muscle will do wonders for the male ego ;)

Either that or wage war on Europe. Worked for Napoleon :)

Napolean was not actually short for his time:

The British Tory press sometimes depicted Napoleon as much smaller than average height and this image persists. Confusion about his height also results from the difference between the French pouce and British inch—2.71 and 2.54 cm respectively; he was about 1.7 metres (5 ft 7 in) tall, average height for the period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napolean

rwac's Photo rwac 03 Apr 2010

Napolean was not actually short for his time:

The British Tory press sometimes depicted Napoleon as much smaller than average height and this image persists. Confusion about his height also results from the difference between the French pouce and British inch—2.71 and 2.54 cm respectively; he was about 1.7 metres (5 ft 7 in) tall, average height for the period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napolean

Not quite. I'm pretty sure Napoleon was much shorter than his peers.
Think fellow officers, nobles, etc.

I'll bet there was a significant difference in the height of nobles as opposed to the common man, due to diet.

JLL's Photo JLL 03 Apr 2010

I don't think noblemen were much taller than that, on average. Probably over 170cm but under 180cm.

hypnotoad's Photo hypnotoad 03 Apr 2010

I don't think noblemen were much taller than that, on average. Probably over 170cm but under 180cm.

O brother... You guys are over thinking this... It was a quick off-hand joke. No need to deconstruct and analyze it for historical accuracy.

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 04 Apr 2010

O brother... You guys are over thinking this... It was a quick off-hand joke. No need to deconstruct and analyze it for historical accuracy.

In any case, I think there is a psychological disadvantage to being shorter than average (associated with weakness / poor diet / nutrition / stress factors). On the other hand, I think there's also a psychological disadvantage to being extremely tall (taller than 6'5" for males and somewhere around 6'0" for females) (associated with being clumsy / less intelligent). But it's only one influence on one's psyche and how others perceive. There's many others.

Forever21's Photo Forever21 04 Apr 2010

I heard you can get acne too if you're a shortie. That and dental floss break easily when its a shortie using it.

Blue's Photo Blue 04 Apr 2010

Being taller is unfairly being associated with being more dominant and competent. If I remember correctly the taller person gets better paid for doing the same job. A taller political candidate tends to win over the shorter one. And so on.

On the other hand the shorter person. if this is not due to nutritional deficiencies, may live longer and have better health due to various factors such as lower growth hormone levels.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1071721/

Luna's Photo Luna 04 Apr 2010

5'9 is not short O_o

If all men were too high, who would shorties like me date? ;) (5'4)

Forever21's Photo Forever21 05 Apr 2010

Hello healthy legs,

*smash with hammer*

::: crackkk :::

oehaut's Photo oehaut 20 Apr 2010

Hey folks,

I've just come across a couple of websites:

http://www.makemetaller.info/ (General Interest)

http://www.leg-lengt....com/index.html (Specific Clinic)

I'm not a hugely short guy. But I am 5' 9. This sort of procedure could get me to 6 foot in 6 months.

I don't really have the money to do it right now, but I'm thinking it could be a good idea. I'm learning Mandarin anyway, and spending 4 months out in China would actually be a benefit for me.

What do we think? Is this crazy, or no?

If it has anything to do with getting women, just buy a book such as The System and learn properly how to approach a girl. Most women don't care that much about physic, they care much more about your confidence and what you say and how you say it to them. It's also about spotting which women at a given time is open to be approach, and which isn't.

I'm 5'5 and i'd NEVER consider this kind of operation, seriously! :|w

Otherwise, what Blue said is probably true, but you're 5'9, just built a descent physique and you'll have all due respect.

Forever21's Photo Forever21 20 Apr 2010

^^ SPAMMIGATORZ

shameless plug & affiliate link code