←  Retailer/Product Discussion

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

iherb shipment via International AirMail -...

kismet's Photo kismet 23 Jul 2010

Does anyone know if I can get or demand a (partial) refund, some sort of coupon or another gesture from iherb? I am aware that this delivery method is not insured. Which I suppose means that technically they don't *owe* me anything.

& What is the longest delivery to Europe could be delayed? (acc. to iherb 'easily 6 weeks')
Edited by kismet, 23 July 2010 - 06:55 PM.

pamojja's Photo pamojja 24 Jul 2010

& What is the longest delivery to Europe could be delayed? (acc. to iherb 'easily 6 weeks')

A parcel from vitacost just took 9 weeks to arrive (which would have been replaced or refunded otherwise).

Austrian customs seem to work exceptionally slow. Whenever the value of orders are marginal they arrive in about 2 weeks, with taxes it takes at least double that time. Once having a bottle of TMG confiscated it took 6 weeks for the remaining order to arrive. But 9 weeks has been the longest for me till now.
Edited by pamojja, 24 July 2010 - 12:20 AM.

sponsored ad  

Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

rwac's Photo rwac 24 Jul 2010

Once having a bottle of TMG confiscated ....

I didn't realize TMG was banned anywhere.

pamojja's Photo pamojja 24 Jul 2010

I didn't realize TMG was banned anywhere.

It apparently is considered a 'medicine' by customs, therefore would require a special import permit which isn't issued to private persons. However, TMG is available at pharmacies without prescription (for 10 times the price). I was really surprised too, because before I always got it from LEF Europe without any difficulties.
Edited by pamojja, 24 July 2010 - 12:48 AM.

rwac's Photo rwac 24 Jul 2010

It apparently is considered a 'medicine' by customs, therefore would require a special import permit which isn't issued to private persons. However, TMG is available at pharmacies without prescription (for 10 times the price). I was really surprised too, because before I always got it from LEF Europe without any difficulties.

Would DMG work any better for customs purposes ?

I'm actually starting to think that DMG is better overall too.

JLL's Photo JLL 24 Jul 2010

iHerb doesn't compensate shipments lost in the mail. I had a package get lost once and they just said "sorry, we can't help you".

sdxl's Photo sdxl 24 Jul 2010

Once I thought I had lost a shipment, but somehow it got send back. Did got a refund, but it was minus the shipping and a restocking fee.

chrono's Photo chrono 25 Jul 2010

Does airmail have any kind of tracking/delivery confirmation?

Thorsten3's Photo Thorsten3 25 Jul 2010

I'm really angry with iherb, are they just totally incompetant or something????

I have been trying all morning to place an order for about 15 items (comes to roughly $200) and they are saying that there are problems with my card (it has been declined).

I have spoken to the bank and there are no problems. Card is still fully active, no restrictions. They say that information has been entered in wrong on the site. I'm a fairly intelligent guy and don't really tend to make mistakes when entering in something simple as personal details and banking information. I have checked this 10 times just to be sure. Yes, I am totally sure. Iherb obviously have some really lame system. So after wasting a whole morning of my life (when I could have been outside in the sunshine) doing this I am wondering ...

Is there anywhere else where I can get a good range of herbs and products (somewhere similar to iherb - but with a more modern payment system)....

Any thoughts/opinions?

JLL's Photo JLL 25 Jul 2010

I've ran into that card issue on some sites when paying with Visa Electron. Which card is it?

Googling the error codes I usually get, I think it may have to do with the verification of the name/address on the card and on the website registration. Some sites require province codes etc. that don't apply, and when you put in a blank, there's a mismatch. But with normal Visa, I don't get that problem.

kismet's Photo kismet 27 Jul 2010

Would DMG work any better for customs purposes ?

I'm actually starting to think that DMG is better overall too.

I hope it's not one of those issues. "freely available over the counter but illegal/impossible to import..." Does anyone know if this could be the case for glucosamine in Europe, Austria? FWIW, it can be sold in any drug store OTC (not just pharmacies).

okok's Photo okok 23 Aug 2010

I hope it's not one of those issues. "freely available over the counter but illegal/impossible to import..." Does anyone know if this could be the case for glucosamine in Europe, Austria? FWIW, it can be sold in any drug store OTC (not just pharmacies).

Did you get it? I ordered tocotrienols from iherb and all went well, but i don't want to take too much chances. LEF europe charges a hefty € 20 for mandatory ups. pfffff......
Edited by okok, 23 August 2010 - 11:59 PM.

pamojja's Photo pamojja 24 Aug 2010

I ordered tocotrienols from iherb and all went well, but i don't want to take too much chances. LEF europe charges a hefty € 20 for mandatory ups. pfffff......

A problem with iherb shipments to Austria is that they are limited to 3 pounds and 80,-$ (4,- shipment fee). Vitacost has no limits and shipment usually cost me 20 bucks. Add to that custom handling and tax of about an other 20,- for orders up to 200,-.

With the special sales of LEF it's just as reasonable (for example these tocotrienols for € 10,50), and you will avoid having arbitrary confiscations.

Not only that, for the bottle of Now-TMG worth 10 bucks mentioned above - I now have to face a trial under administrative law at a court 600 km from where I live! It's so ridiculous..

Anyway, here a list of supplements from iherb and vitacost which made it through customs, and would appreciate similar lists of others:

100% Natural Vit. E 200 iu, Source Naturals
A Lutein, Lutemax, NSI
AAKG Powder 7oz, Now
Alpha Lipoic Acid w. Biotin, NSI
Astaxanthin, Source Naturals
Astaxanthin Natural, NSI
Astaxanthin, NOW
Benfotiamine, Doctor's Best
Pantethine, NSI
P5P Coenzymated, Source Naturals
P-5-P, Pyrodoxal, NSI
Best Benfotiamine, Doctor's Best
Biotin, Source Naturals
Blueberry Extract, Wild, NSI
Boswellia Ext, Source Naturals
Inosistol & Choline, Source Naturls
Magnesium Ascorbate, Source Naturals
Cayenne Pepper, NSI
Chondroitin Sulfate, Source Naturals
Chromium Picolinate, NSI
Cocoa Bean Extract, NSI
D3 Vitamin Caps., NSI
E - 400 w.mixed Tocopherols, Healthy Origins
E Best Tocotrienols, Doctor's Best
E Complex, Country Life
E Vitamin - 400 IU w.mixed, NSI
Green Tea Extract, NSI
Guggulsterones, Source Naturals
Gugulipid 2.5%, Natrol
Hawthorn Extracts, NSI
Inosistol & Choline, Source Naturals
K w. Advance K2 Complex, NSI
L-Arginine HCL
L-Arginine Powder, Now
L-Carnitin Acetyl, NOW
L-Carnitin Fumarate, NSI
L-Carnitin GPLC, Glycine Porpionyl, NSI
L-Carnitin, Glycine Porpionyl, NSI
L-Citruline 4oz, Now
L-Proline Powder, Source Naturals
L-Tyrosine, NSI
Magnesium Chelated, Carlson
Magnesium Glycinate 400, KAL
MegaFolinic, Source Naturals
N-Acetyl Cysteine, Source Naturals
Olive Leaf Extract, NSI
Omega3, DHA-500, NOW
OPC Pine Bark Extrace, NSI
Pantethine, Jarrow Formulas
Pantethine, Source Naturals
Phoshatidyl Cho./Lecithin, Source Naturals
Phoshatidyl Choline, NSI
Phosphatidyl Choline, NutriCology
Pomegranate Extact, VitaGranate, NSI
Pomeratrol, NOW
Potassium Iodide, Source Naturals
Probiotics 30 Billion, Healthy Origins
Q10 High Absorbtion CoQ10, Doctor's Best
Shiitake Mushroom Extract, NSI
Synergy Basic Multivitamin, NSI
Taurine Powder 100g, Source Naturals
ToCoQ10, NSI
Triple Boron, Source Naturals
Vanadyl Sulfate, Source Naturals

okok's Photo okok 24 Aug 2010

Not only that, for the bottle of Now-TMG worth 10 bucks mentioned above - I now have to face a trial under administrative law at a court 600 km from where I live! It's so ridiculous..

Omg, this is absurd. I've read caliban is knowledgeable in this area. Maybe he can give you some advice.
Hope it's ok to link this:
http://forum.dgk.de/...kuer-t6829.html

kismet's Photo kismet 24 Aug 2010

Did you get it? I ordered tocotrienols from iherb and all went well, but i don't want to take too much chances. LEF europe charges a hefty € 20 for mandatory ups. pfffff......

I did not. Some time ago the stuff would have been simply returned, but now the law has been changed and all will be confiscated. I guess any supplement that is *also and alternatively* being sold as a "drug" in pharmacies (over and above OTC use) becomes illegal to import from the US.

Presumably I will not face any charges (or at least consequences) as a 'first time offender'. :|? pamojja was this your first 'offense'? The first time you tried to import the stuff? You still need to go to an Austrian court?

Haha, what a lovely bunch of irrational, draconian laws! (I would support legislative action against this abuse of power myself)
Edited by kismet, 24 August 2010 - 11:53 AM.

Amantine's Photo Amantine 27 Aug 2010

Does anyone know if I can get or demand a (partial) refund, some sort of coupon or another gesture from iherb? I am aware that this delivery method is not insured. Which I suppose means that technically they don't *owe* me anything.

I'm also still waiting on a package from Iherb. I ordered 3: Package No.1 and package No.3 arrived. Package No.2 seems to have gone missing.... that's presuming it was ever sent in the first place...

Is there any way to verify that a package was ever sent via international airmail? Shouldn't Iherb have have a receipt from the post?

pycnogenol's Photo pycnogenol 03 Sep 2010

Hi Amantine,

So did package No. 2 ever show up? If not, have you contacted your local Customs Office to see if they have your package there?

Info on iHerb:

iHerb will not be liable for packages refused or held by customs for delivery:

We request that you contact your customs office, and ask about import regulations and restrictions before placing your order.

Please Note: If your order is returned to us due to banned / restricted products, a wrong address, refusal to pay customs fees or
because no one was there to accept delivery of your order, we will refund your credit card as follows:

You will be refunded the total amount of the order minus the shipping charge and 20 percent of the value of the order as a re-stocking
fee.

We will also subtract any other outside charges we have incurred during shipping, such as warehousing fees, return postage fees, etc.
Refund for return items will be processed only for orders shipped out using DHL or UPS.

Refunds are not available if you choose International Airmail shipping methods and your order is lost.

Edited by pycnogenol, 03 September 2010 - 03:31 PM.

Amantine's Photo Amantine 05 Sep 2010

Hi Amantine,

So did package No. 2 ever show up? If not, have you contacted your local Customs Office to see if they have your package there?

Info on iHerb:

iHerb will not be liable for packages refused or held by customs for delivery:

We request that you contact your customs office, and ask about import regulations and restrictions before placing your order.

Please Note: If your order is returned to us due to banned / restricted products, a wrong address, refusal to pay customs fees or
because no one was there to accept delivery of your order, we will refund your credit card as follows:

You will be refunded the total amount of the order minus the shipping charge and 20 percent of the value of the order as a re-stocking
fee.

We will also subtract any other outside charges we have incurred during shipping, such as warehousing fees, return postage fees, etc.
Refund for return items will be processed only for orders shipped out using DHL or UPS.

Refunds are not available if you choose International Airmail shipping methods and your order is lost.

Paquage No. 2 arrived Posted Image, so my faith in Iherb is restored and I will be placing a fourth order soon.

kismet's Photo kismet 06 Sep 2010

Paquage No. 2 arrived Posted Image, so my faith in Iherb is restored and I will be placing a fourth order soon.

Shipping issues usually aren't their fault anyway. Blame teh politicians responsible for bizarre customs. Although, I do wonder why they would not refund supplements shipped via international airmail (assuming it actually does get sent back to them). O
Edited by kismet, 06 September 2010 - 05:55 PM.

pamojja's Photo pamojja 07 Sep 2010

Omg, this is absurd. I've read caliban is knowledgeable in this area. Maybe he can give you some advice.
Hope it's ok to link this:
http://forum.dgk.de/...kuer-t6829.html

Thanks for the tip. I asked for advise in a more recent thread there.

pamojja was this your first 'offense'? The first time you tried to import the stuff? You still need to go to an Austrian court?

Haha, what a lovely bunch of irrational, draconian laws! (I would support legislative action against this abuse of power myself)

Well, on calling them it turns out that a letter of justification will do it too. It was my first 'offense' for vitamin import :blink:

However, already now it seems my justifications wont have any effect and I'll be charged at least € 200,- as first time offender, thousands €uros on repeated vitamin import :ph34r:
Edited by pamojja, 07 September 2010 - 09:19 PM.

sutur's Photo sutur 14 Feb 2011

I know it's an old thread but I just wanted to chime in to tell you that I too got a letter from the Austrian customs office today. The culprit was a multi vitamin (Orange Triad - it was heavily discounted on iherb, otherwise i wouldn't have bought it ;) containing glucosamine sulfate for joint support. I didn't know this to be illegal to import, so a had a long telephone talk with a customs clerk. The infuriating thig is this: there is no definitive list which you could consult to know what is legal and what is not. They have a magical computer system which is updated regularly to tell them what to confiscate, but it is not possible for regular people to have insight into this system. So there seems to be no possible way for an Austrian citizen to know what is legal to import and what is not. The laconic answer I got was that the easiest way is not to try to import "medical" stuff at all. The worst part however is that even the attempt to import stuff that the customs office considers medical is a punishable offense (up to EUR 3600 I think). I foolishly tried to import melatonin (item worth EUR 5) once and was fined EUR 45. I'm curious what it will be this time...

pamojja's Photo pamojja 14 Feb 2011

I know it's an old thread but ...

Well, not really. I haven't heard back from them since sending a letter of justification for the betaine confiscated. So please keep us informed too.

The infuriating thig is this: there is no definitive list which you could consult to know what is legal and what is not. They have a magical computer system which is updated regularly to tell them what to confiscate, but it is not possible for regular people to have insight into this system.

Just my experience. Despite trying many times to get a definite negative list. It seems anything which is 'Apotheken-pflichtig' (obligatory to get from a local pharmacy, even if no prescription is needed) - like for example Hawthorn tea, as I just recently found out - falls under this list.

sutur's Photo sutur 14 Feb 2011

It seems anything which is 'Apotheken-pflichtig' (obligatory to get from a local pharmacy, even if no prescription is needed) - like for example Hawthorn tea, as I just recently found out - falls under this list.

This is probably true but alas I don't think that it is quite so easy. I have for example found this parliamentary request http://www.parlament...rig_153808.html dated March 2009. If I interpret this correctly even things like Q10 and fish oil, which are readily available in supermarkets i.e. not "Apothekenpflichtig" are considered illegal to import. The whole system seems incredibly arbitrary. I have in the past many times imported things of which I'm certain they are on the list, had the package opened by customs and sent to me without a problem. This is most likely just a matter of bad luck. In any case, the more I research this situation the more absurd and frustrating it gets. It also seems like since the beginning of the year 2011 the number and austerity of controls has risen dramatically. The only way out of this arbitrariness and the constant risk of being fined seems to be to order from withing the EU, where the prices are prohibitively high.

shp5's Photo shp5 16 Feb 2011

I saw the list too, it makes no sense. Things like Vit D were confiscated, but only in a few cases. I suppose they were contained in the same shipment with Melatonin or something. Or it was never claimed and thus destroyed.

I've ordered quite a few things from Iherb (always under 22 Euro items value).
ALL of these orders were opened by customs, but no problems. Only once they wanted to see my credit card bill. Even some lithium aspartate went through.

So, I still order mostly via iherb, only some more sensitive things (melatonin, lithium) from within the EU
Edited by shp5, 16 February 2011 - 07:15 PM.

sponsored ad  

Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

okok's Photo okok 17 Feb 2011

there's quite a few shops on ebay(.co.uk).