←  Brain Health

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Mucuna Pruriens Muscle Ache/Pain?

AlmostEasy's Photo AlmostEasy 01 Mar 2015

For various reasons (look here if interested) I ordered some Mucuna Pruriens from Amazon (brand).  I started with about 500 mg and noticed subtle effects, nothing diagnostic like I had been hoping for.  So I upped it the next day to like 1.5g then the next day around 2.7g.  I did notice some interesting cognitive effects but again nothing too drastic and probably for not a long enough period for it to be a legitimate trial.

Now what worries me and prevents me from continuing is that on that large 2.7g dose I began experiencing some extreme muscle pain in my butt muscles actually and some in my legs.  Let me emphasize extreme as well, it was a pulsing intense ache that kept me up till like 4 am when I was virtually exhausted at midnight, it was pretty brutal and actually had me a little worried.  The following morning I felt it still slightly there but not enough to bother me.

Also I didn't notice this much on the lower doses.  Either that or it was so subtle that I didn't accredit it to the supplement.

Would anyone know what this could be about?  I'd like to give this thing a proper trial but I'm not sure if this is a sign of an allergic reaction or something, I don't know.

Thanks guys.

Galaxyshock's Photo Galaxyshock 01 Mar 2015

In my opinion those L-DOPA extracts of Mucuna should only be taken if you have Parkinson's. Maybe in small quantities it's alright, but I'd rather take the whole herb as a tonic.

I also got wierd side effects when I took Mucuna extracts in higher amounts: fever-like symptoms, muscle cramps, insomnia etc.

AlmostEasy's Photo AlmostEasy 01 Mar 2015

Interesting. I saw studies using 15g - 30g to treat Parkinson's so I figured I was in range, I didn't think my 15% extract was that powerful. Guess I'll stick with a lower dose.

Did you ever find benefits from it at all or did you discontinue due to your problems?

Galaxyshock's Photo Galaxyshock 03 Mar 2015

I found it increasing motivation, libido and interest in life. I did discontinue because of the flu-like symptoms and general unhealthy feeling. I was using an extract though. I've been meaning to buy some whole herb and experiment again though.

Dopamine is responsible for muscle control and probably why in excess L-DOPA as a dopamine receptor agonist can induce muscle cramps and pain even. I found my muscles very tense when I took the extract in higher doses.

Certain things potentiate Mucuna though which can make lower doses more active - Rhodiola, Schizandra, Echinacea, EGCG (green tea) and I bet coffee too.