←  Lifestyle

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

My Body is crashing

KonaDude's Photo KonaDude 23 Mar 2016

Hey Guys,

I usually post within the Nootropics section as this is where my journey began to improving my health. Start with the brain and then work on the body.

My nootropic stack was working great so in January this year I became a non smoker and this has not quite gone to plan. 9 weeks in I would have expected to be seeing massive improvements in various areas but if i;m honest I think i'm only seeing cardiovascular benefits at this stage,

My breathing is presently worse than when I smoked, my fitness/stamina is reduced (I exercise regularly), my mental health seems to have gone to pot. I'm self employed and work at home (sick wife hence easier if i'm at home as she requires support). I'm struggling to get out of bed in the morning, have that feeling of cant be bothered, very very unmotivated.

Not planning on smoking again but could do with some advice.

TIA

platypus's Photo platypus 23 Mar 2016

How much did you smoke? I've read that after cessation of heavy smoking the cleanup of the lungs takes its time and lungs can feel worse for awhile..

KonaDude's Photo KonaDude 23 Mar 2016

20 a day roughly, yup i agree on the downturn before seeing benefits on the respiratory system and will just have to stick it out I guess but honestly I feel awful, like my world is falling apart. I'm not even craving cigs, in fact dont even think about them anymore. Just feel really really bad physically and mentally. Quite frustrating :(

platypus's Photo platypus 24 Mar 2016

You should take NAC to facilitate cleaning of the lungs. Hang in there, it will take some time for your body to recalibrate itself to your new lifestyle. 

YOLF's Photo YOLF 24 Mar 2016

Try removing gluten from your diet. If you smoke and are developing celiacs disease, smoking will slow or mitigate the progression of the disease. If you have or are getting celiacs disease, it can cause breathing problems. You will likely need to increase iron intake. Though before you stop eating gluten you should get the blood test for celiacs, otherwise you'll have to start eating gluten again to test positive for the disease if you have it. 

I've been through this, so I can help if you need it.

KonaDude's Photo KonaDude 24 Mar 2016

Very interesting, I have wondered on the gluten matter. My wife has very severe auto-immune arthritis so I know quite a bit about the gut and relevance of gluten, candida etc etc etc.

Personally I have always had perfect digestion and a very strong and healthy digestive system so this area would usually be my last point of call. However

As my wife is still sick after 10 years of treatment from standard medicine we are about to begin the process of attempting to immuno-modulate her via major life and food changes, one of these is being gluten free. I'm going to do the same mostly to support her but will be interesting to see how this affects matters.

Thanks YOLF

YOLF's Photo YOLF 24 Mar 2016

23andme genotyping could help alot. Get it done and start uploading it to livewello, promethease etc. It will be worth every penny.

aconita's Photo aconita 24 Mar 2016

I can't believe doctors are still so ignorant to not acknowledge gluten is the first thing to avoid when the immune system is involved.

Hey, it is not difficult to understand, it doesn't need a degree in medicine to get that!

Since the vast majority of the immune system is in the guts everything affecting the guts is very likely going to effect the immune system as well.

Is that really so difficult to get?

Of course gluten might not be the only responsible but at least lets start to make things a bit easier...

Oh...I see,,, no drugs involved in that. sorry, I clean my mouth! 

hotbit's Photo hotbit 06 Apr 2016

Hi KonaDude,

''My Body is crashing'' is a very good description of how I feel, too. I haven't stopped smoking completely, though - still on electric cig crap. What kind of exercise regime do you have? Last year I've spent an intensive weekend in the Highlands. Both days included medium to very intensive exercise for a couple of hours, including pool and climbing. I was in much better shape for at least a week after that, feeling like 10 years younger. It seems that I need quite intensive workout to switch between states, luck of motivation / energy, though. Maybe I should start a topic / log to get some motivation? ;)

Are you still smoke free? Any positive progress on how you feel?

All the best!

KonaDude's Photo KonaDude 06 Apr 2016

Yes actually I am.

Circulation is better. Breathing is still struggling though, feel like my lung capacity is reduced.

I did do 6 hours mountain biking at the weekend but it was hard going. Certainly not finding that easier yet and i'm riding more.

Not going to be smoking again though as i'm sure i will see the full benefits over time