←  Brain Health

LONGECITY


The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Using valproic acid to induce neuroplastic...

N.T.M.'s Photo N.T.M. 22 Jun 2017

According to one study, valproic acid was shown to increase the brain’s neuroplasticity, allowing people to learn things in adulthood that would otherwise only be possible for babies.

 
It’s easy to find in Google, but here’s a link to one webpage discussing the study: https://www.livescie...lute-pitch.html
 
Has anybody heard of any other similar studies? I wasn’t able to find anything, which I thought was really strange considering how significant the finding was. Has anybody experimented with this personally? I know using the drug carries some risk, but it is approved for the treatment of epilepsy. 
 
Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by N.T.M., 22 June 2017 - 05:12 AM.
Quote

jack black's Photo jack black 22 Jun 2017

I did a cursory search and found only this one study. It has to be confirmed by other studies to be believed. Also, what if it only works for musical pitch?

Regardless, it's a very interesting and cheap drug that is underutilized. It even has anti cancer effects.

Thanks for posting.
Quote

gamesguru's Photo gamesguru 24 Jun 2017

valproate is shaping up to be the berberine of the pharmaceutical world.  supposedly good for musicians, old people and a long list of other things, but in practice all it does is give you a ripe stomach ache.  it's just not the right look either taking a potent pharm for something off-label, like how DOI is a potent anti-inflammatory but if you started taking it for arthritis you'd literally be out of your mind

Quote

Bukujutsu's Photo Bukujutsu 25 Jun 2017

I never experience a stomach ache from it. I've had the exact same idea for some time, using it to modulate neuroplasticity for certain situations, ones where increased adaption would have a positive effect, such as when learning a new skill, or in positive social situations if you have issues with anxiety or isolation, any other psychological issues where you'd like to recondition your brain.

 

I'm planning on using it when I go back to school.


Edited by Bukujutsu, 25 June 2017 - 08:22 PM.
Quote

jack black's Photo jack black 26 Jun 2017

I did more searching and came up with this study and review: http://journal.front...2014.00113/full
Based on that, I'm taking it out of my to try list.
Quote

Benko's Photo Benko 27 Jun 2017

There are other ways e.g. aerobic exercise to increase neuroplasticity.  

Quote

gamesguru's Photo gamesguru 27 Jun 2017

propanolol and bupropion also belong in the set of things which tech n9ne can rap about.  you can find a full list of interactions here.  never was much of a fan of this kind of thing tho, too many side effects (as mentioned).  would rather swash back a cup of tea and hit the gym

Quote

jack black's Photo jack black 27 Jun 2017

propanolol and bupropion also belong in the set of things

 

are you saying they are known to affect neuroplasticity?

Quote

gamesguru's Photo gamesguru 27 Jun 2017

well they do, you can find for wellbutrin in particular very good cognitive outcomes for the long-term.  but no i meant they're things people on the street couldn't live without, depokate is mood stablizing and anti-epileptic, propanolol is great for situation anxiety (and a lot of physical stuff) and wellbutrin is a watered down version of citalopram and a smoking cessation aid to boot


Edited by gamesguru, 27 June 2017 - 09:45 AM.
Quote

N.T.M.'s Photo N.T.M. 27 Jun 2017

I did more searching and came up with this study and review: http://journal.front...2014.00113/full
Based on that, I'm taking it out of my to try list.

 

That's really informative (and disappointing).

 

 

There are other ways e.g. aerobic exercise to increase neuroplasticity.  

 

But I assume the effects aren't strong enough as to allow an adult to acquire perfect pitch. While it may seem trivial, prior to this study, I've never heard of this happening. As far as I know, there are no other documented cases of adults acquiring perfect pitch.

 

 

I never experience a stomach ache from it. I've had the exact same idea for some time, using it to modulate neuroplasticity for certain situations, ones where increased adaption would have a positive effect, such as when learning a new skill, or in positive social situations if you have issues with anxiety or isolation, any other psychological issues where you'd like to recondition your brain.

 

I'm planning on using it when I go back to school.

 

You may want to reconsider taking it. According to the study that Jack Black posted, valproic acid inhibits cell proliferation in the hippocampus, which obviously wouldn't be great if you're in school.


Edited by N.T.M., 27 June 2017 - 09:13 PM.
Quote

Bukujutsu's Photo Bukujutsu 28 Jun 2017

Well, I was planning to take a prolonged cycle of NSI-189 as well. I have quite a lot of it. I'll read that paper first to be sure there aren't other issues.

Quote